Odd Coin?

This is My 1831 portugal Coin I Noticed These Odd Looking Spots on the Coin

Red Arrows point To the Spots

One looks Like A Crack

The Other Is the 0 Looks Doubled

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Colin, I think Sylvester has it right, HERE.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Right

I just had A Certified ISNA Master Appraiser look At this Coin

He Found the Following: Cracked Die Under The T, The 8 And The 3 In the Date Are Rotated 115, And A Collapsed Die So The Scratch is Not A Scratch But A Collapsed Dieimage

Oh yes The Guy is A Life member Of Both the ANA And The TSA
  • Options
    I still disagree with that guy on terminology.

It is a nice coin though, but they are still flaws not errors. The date is a possible exception there though that may be an error, but then again it may be a variety! (I'd got for the former).
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever Heard Of Pual garner? he's the one Who told Me These Things About the Coin

I have No Idea What Terms He Used But From What i understood My 1831 Portugal 40 Reis Coin Had many flaws And It Was not Uncommon To Find These.

All i Know is that His Card Had on it That he Was The District Governor Of XVA And XVII Districts

And He Is A Life Member of both the ANA And the TSA Plus He is A Certified ISNA Master Appraiser

So i guess the man Is A Expert on these Coins

I'll Classfiy This Coin As A Major Flawed Coin
  • Options
    Well after reading the thread on the other forum and looking at the pictures there, I would say that the ISNA master appraiser should not be appraising coins. He obviously does not know coins or how they are made. The crack below the T is either a scratch in the coin or a strike through, I can't tell which from the picture. It isn't a crack. The date seems to show repunching which the expert seems to have missed. The line to the right of the 40 definitely looks like a die crack which seems to run from the date most of th way across the coin towards 2:00. The "experts" use of the term "collapsed die" shows that he doesn't know proper terminology. The closest we have to that is when we speak of a die as "sinking" due to improper hardening. The face of the die literally sinks into the die body and the area is weakly struck. It does not result in raised lines like that seen on the coin in question. As for the problem inside the 0 of 40 that could be repunching, machine doubling, or die wear. The image isn't good enough to tell.