Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Someone made a 68RD 44-D Lincoln

Someone made a 68RD 44-D Lincoln, so who wants to admit to it.

Comments

• Options

Yes, there are others out there as well. A 40-D and S have been graded 68 as well. The later date MS67 pops will continue to slowly rise and out of those will trickle a few 68's now and then.

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure we all know who made it or at least who was likely to have made it.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    JTK,

Don't think that we all know who made it.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    If I were to guess I'd say Andy?
  • Options

Haletj,

That would be my guess.

Jack
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    JTK,

Maybe I didn't word it right the last time...

I don't think that y'all know who made it.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options

Ooops, guessed wrong again. I was wrong on the 37-D as well.

Jack
  • Options
    Regardless of who it was I'm sure a few folks like Ira, Andy, Stewart, Gerry etal have a good idea or know who has it.

• Options
    Who ever said it was an upgrade? Maybe it came right out of a roll.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The whole point of this board is to gossip and speculate about high quality coins.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The whole point of this board is to gossip and speculate about high quality coins. >>

No, this board is for selling coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    << The whole point of this board is to gossip and speculate about high quality coins. >>

No, this board is for selling coins.

Russ, NCNE

Hey Russ,
    You forgot to mention when selling coins try to make any dealer who doesn't sell what you sell look as bad as possible.
  • Options
    I'd like to see a pic.
  • Options
    As tough PCGS is, I'm amazed!! Whom ever gets it has to post a pic!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Get enough dealers (or collectors) bragging and the services WILL tighten up. >>

Yet more evidence the services grade consistently.

• Options

<< <i>clackamas,
    I'm trying to educate you as to why other main stream dealers don't hang here. >>

Please don't take offense but many of us here don't care, if a dealer does not want to hang then so be it, I am not loosing any sleep, especially if they don't want to gossip or share information about Lincoln's I would rather they stayed away. This is an forum about collectors and registry sets, not dealers who like to keep quiet.

<< <i>Discussing who made what is taboo. Dealers prefer to keep their mouths shut. Get enough dealers (or collectors) bragging and the services WILL tighten up. . >>

To you, maybe, but not to me and many others on the board as well. If you want to keep stuff a secret then please exercise your freedom of speech and not say anything if you so choose. I for one, like these things (68RD Lincoln's), and as a collector I want to discuss them with other collectors, and if a dealer wants to be part of the discussion then they are welcome to do so, and many do, but I will not limit discussing what I would like to discuss because of some person I don't know, or isn't even a member, does not want me to discuss it.

<< <i>Dealers aren't into gossip. >>

Some dealers are not into gossip, some are, I seriously doubt that you speak for even 1/2 of them?

<< <i>Sure, its nice to know a coins history, but if it looks good and you can't find it out-your buying the coins anyway.
    And last, I handle more GEM RD Lincoln's and Indians than most people will ever know.
    So I can be a big yapper here too >>

Coins are history and the reason most of us collect, if you are missing this point you are missing what many of your customers are really looking for from coins. If you don't value the history then there is little point in collecting, again, this is a REGISTRY FORUM for collectors. I will also be sending your brownie button for your dealings in GEM red Lincoln's that we did not know about.

• Options
    As tough as PCGS has been on making 68RD Lincolns as of late, these coins must be really nice. Congratulations to the lucky buyer(s)of these coins.

Clackamas- You have the right to your opinion as does Laura. Telling Laura that she is not welcome to participate in your thread is ludicrous. If you only welcome opinions that do not differ from your own, go start your own forum.
    David Schweitz
  • Options

Stewart,

You crack me up!

Brain,

Just let it go. We've obviously crossed into a "secret brotherhood of dealers taboo area" and need to get back where we belong. It's not worth the discussion.

Jack
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Creating a "dividing line" between dealers and collectors, especially on this forum is ludicrous. This forum is for education, and I must say that there are quite a number of "collectors" here that have/are privy to all the info. that dealers have, maybe more...
    This isn't a place for dealers and collectors to clash. This is a place to share info........................................................ image
  • Options

RegistryCoin,

That is correct. There should be no dividing line between dealers and collectors on the forum.

We were having a friendly discussion until a dealer pointed out

why other main stream dealers don't hang here

Dealers prefer to keep their mouths shut

Dealers aren't into gossip.

Seems to me that the dealer is creating the dividing line by educating us collectors on how to act. I'll take my own advice from here on in and just let it go.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that collectors who have "been around the block" may have blurred that line of knowledge, while some (dealers) were all caught up with themselves.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good points [and slams] in here:

Collectors really shouldn't care about the upgrade history of a coin, but they do. And by finding out, it can make a sometimes difficult decision harder. Should it matter to a prospective buyer that a person 'made' the coin and only has a few thousand into it and is trying to sell it for $12,500? No, but it does and it may make the buyer refuse to buy a coin he should buy. Sometimes it's better not to know.

Curiosity killed the cat? image
  • Options
    I for one, like to know where a coin came from. The big ones I have purchased, I knew where it came from, and felt better (even if I paid way more for it than a few years ago), knowing what I was bidding for.

I really dont care much or ever WHO got an upgrade, but I always would love to know IF it was an upgrade, if it was in a roll, etc, new find, or whatever. Why? I like the history of the coin(s) JUST AS MUCH AS WHERE IT CAME FROM. Then I have an educated background on the coin, as opposed to just "winging" a bid. I have been to a lot of the auctions, Laura. I can eavesdrop or stand near a circle of dealers, and learn quite a bit that doesnt seem to be such a secret!!! From upgrades to toning to she had it, then wanted it back to he really wanted that coin, or whatever. most of it is fun, but a lot is education on the whole business as well as the coins. I have never bought a car without looking under the hood or taking it for a spin!!!

LLOYD

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I buy upgrades all the time just ask MS68 or Wondercoin. I dont care. Some of my nicest coins are upgrades I made or bought."

True and so do I. Sometimes I even try to lock in the price for when (and if) the coin does work. Liner coins often require that sort of action, if you truly want to build a world class collection IMHO.

The bottom line is best I know this Lincoln cent is a $100-$200 coin or so in MS67RD and (for the sake of argument let's assume) "five figures" in MS68RD. Without commenting on whether that 1 point jump is worth a large % jump in price - the dealer that made it (using the assumption) enjoyed a five figure "score" by getting the grade (and let's even assume it was 100% deserving). For the world class upgraders, "five figure scores" on upgrades are really "a dime a dozen". On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with a thread pointing out that "someone made a 68rd 44-D Lincoln". And, Laura is correct that often times dealers will not discuss these coins for a variety of reasons. Nor will dealers who even know the information discuss them. For example, I believe I personally know exactly who slabbed this coin, what it sold for wholesale, what it sold for retail, etc., etc., etc. I would not think of commenting on the information. But, I may share information on other sales in other coin series with the dealer who filled me in on the Lincoln and this does tend to support Laura's contention that dealers often times know a great deal more information than the typical collector, even the serious collector in the very series at issue.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeez, is this stupid thread still going on? I'll end the speculation once and for all: TDN made that cent. He is, after all, a champion grader!

In all seriousness, if ever this place ceases to fight with Sperber then I'll fear that the Apocalypse is imminent!!! When that happens, I'm gonna push her into the mouth of the beast and run like heck!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart: Coming from you, I accept that as a compliment. Of course, $10,000 is a great deal of money. I never said is wasn't. And, as I said, five figure upgrades are a "dime a dozen" to the very best upgraders. Heck, I watched you "blow" $10,000 buying a Lincoln TRYING to upgrade it - like when I watched you "piss away" $13,225 (edited amount) on a (roughly) $4,000 PCGS-MS66 1924(p) Lincoln at auction at 1/04 FUN and then try to blame PCGS for why it didn't work for you. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Bossy, bossy, bossy!!
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Bochiman,

I agree with you 100%! No one, especially Laura, has the right to tell any collector what they can or can't talk about. This is a PCGS forum designed to DISCUSS relevant topics. As she has appointed herself chief watchdog (hmmm) of this forum, she has tried to instill her opinions (is that what they are? or are they directives?) and has proceeded to insult, abuse and intimidate those that take issue with anything contrary to her own views.

After receiving the wrath of Laura upon presenting my opinions, she no longer counts in my book as worthy of my business......

As for upgrading, I have done my share. You win some, you lose some. The real money is made on the upgrades and I like to buy coins that are at the high end of the grade so that I have the chance of an upgrade and not always pay for someone else's upgrade. I have tried to average it out....

• Options

<< <i>Oh yes, the TOP 20 dealers in my world include (these guys are world class graders-NOT marketers): >>

Steve Contursi is not a marketer? image

<< <i>Let me know when you see these guys on the forums. >>

One of them posted in this thread. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oh come on....A dealer NOT a marketer????

I also buy the coin, not the holder. But I don't have hours upon hours to buy 67's and try to get them to be 68's. Or to keep it simple, don't have time to try to get upgrades over and over again. Here's where you will like me Laura!!!:

I DO pay for the upgrades, and I would rather have someone else spend their time (dealer or collector) on trying for the upgrades, and then I'll pay the price increase. Saves me the time, and the risk buying coins to try for an upgrade. It would cost me $$$$ to switch to the "upgrading" profession, from what I currently spend most my time doing....my career.

---------Lloyd

• Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's good to see Mitch and Stewart are still the best of friends...

• Options
    saintguru,

What happened to the picture you posted?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

SG was likely "asked" to take the picture down by the subject of the picture or one of the principals of the company.
    I am surprised it was likely done in PM rather than just in a message since I don't think anyone that would have asked him to take it down is particularly shy. image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I complied after 1 hour, for which I owe Bruce one! There was certainly NO nastiness to the post.
  • Options
    I believe it should be common courtesy to not publish ANY members photo here ( dealer or collector or wannabe) without express permission from that individual.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    ahhhh...y'all quit your preaching and talk about the damn penny!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    talk about the damn penny

It's round, pretty, reddish in hue and denominated ONE CENT. Oh, and it has some old guy on the obverse!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

<< <i>talk about the damn penny

It's round, pretty, reddish in hue and denominated ONE CENT. Oh, and it has some old guy on the obverse!

EVP >>

Old Dead guy on the obverse, it also has the date 1944 and a nice "D" under the date.

I really would love to see a pic. I wonder if all the 68's have that deep red color. I once heard that to make a 68RD wheat lincoln you needed an MS67 with "Bingo". I am still trying to put my finger on exactly what Bingo is.

Brian
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

What if the coin was a 1944 D/S in ms 68 red ? Type 1

That coin would be worth ?????

My guess would be $75,000 +

Stewart
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Reading this thread got me sooo pumped up about Full Red Lincolns, I went out to an old time dealer and cherry picked two dozens blazing gems from the 30's 40's.

I think I have a 42 MS68RD on my hands, what would that be worth?image

Seth

PS And if it happens, yes, its OK for you guys to talk about me.image
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options

<< <i>What if the coin was a 1944 D/S in ms 68 red ? Type 1

That coin would be worth ?????

My guess would be $75,000 +

Stewart >>

I don't know but it would be cool. What is an MS67RD 44D/S worth?
  • Options
    "I don't know but it would be cool. What is an MS67RD 44D/S worth?"

Since there aren't any graded by PCGS (only 5 66RD's to date) OR NGC (only 1 66RD to date) .... image