Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who is a good source for nice ancients that are NOT overpriced.

I recently returned to ancients after a long absence from the field. My observations so far:
1. There are far fewer "nice" ancients available now than was the case in the 80's.
2. While I have found a few "nice" ancients on eBay; eBay appears to be mostly a dumping ground for second and third rate coins.
3. The mark-up on "nice" ancients from "name" dealers is very high. So high, in fact, that I have little interest in buying the coins even if they are "nice". I have no intention of burying myself in the coins.
4. Avoid low grade and problem ancients. Nobody wants them and there are plenty available.

Does anyone have a source for "nice" ancients that are not overpriced?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Frank Robinson usually has a good selection with excellent prices.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You may also try David Hendin at Amphora Coins, Dave is a first class guy!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Your best bet is to just hit http://www.vcoins.com and do some comparison shopping. Depending on what you intend to collect, some dealers will be higher in certain areas than others. Pick something you'd like to start collecting and shop around there.

For starters, you can take a look at the 407 coins that we just marked down today. image

http://www.vcoins.com/civitas/store/listSaleProducts.asp

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You may also try David Hendin at Amphora Coins, Dave is a first class guy! >>

Well I guess a dead king would know. BTW, nice icon aethelred, much better than the one with Payne hanging around. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i> BTW, nice icon aethelred, much better than the one with Payne hanging around. >>

I like the Paine icon, but the medieval helmet thingie sorta fits me better, and I am sure Kelly will also like it better!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Is it Payne or Paine. I assume you are correct.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Is it Payne or Paine. I assume you are correct. >>

Geez, a math teacher should know this!image

It is Paine. Thomas Paine was the author of "Common Sense" in 1776 and his work is credited with changing opinion in American and doing much to bring about the Revolution. He also wrote "The Rights of Man" and "The Age of Reason" all of his stuff makes for a good read if you are into political stuff.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, a math teacher should know this! >>

What makes it really bad is I'm also a NYS certified Social Studies teacher. But obviously not a spelling teacher.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i> But obviously not a spelling teacher. >>

I glad, my posts would drive you nuts if you were!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>I recently returned to ancients after a long absence from the field. My observations so far:
    1. There are far fewer "nice" ancients available now than was the case in the 80's.
    2. While I have found a few "nice" ancients on eBay; eBay appears to be mostly a dumping ground for second and third rate coins.
    3. The mark-up on "nice" ancients from "name" dealers is very high. So high, in fact, that I have little interest in buying the coins even if they are "nice". I have no intention of burying myself in the coins.
    4. Avoid low grade and problem ancients. Nobody wants them and there are plenty available. >>

Yeah, that's partly why I backed out of collecting them in the mid-1990s.image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image