Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The ancestor of today's bi-metallic coins?

Really becoming fascinated with some of the early, lower denominations from France from the early 1800's. They offer a wealth of varieties and re-strikes/engravings and are typically available in any grade you may collect in.

This one was interesting to me as an early bi-metallic example from 1806, Napoleon, 10 centimes with a silver center and bronze (or copper) outer ring.

Did other countries employ bi-metallic coins like this from the period?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    Great Britian struck Young Head Victoria halfpennies and pennies These were bi-metallic. They also struck a model Gothic Crown that was bi-metalllic. All these coins were called model coinage and not considered as real money by most collectors. I find them very interesting and am actually on the hunt for the Model Gothic Crown.

Steve
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps Scott or Bill has a line on an image of a model Gothic Crown...
  • Options
    Great Britian had bimetallic coins in the 1600s. That's if you count copper coins with brass plugs and tin coins with copper plugs.

Farthings of Charles I are bimet...(And maybe James I? copper is not my area).

Farthings and halfpennies from 1684-1692 are tin with a copper plug.

Up until last week i had a Charles II tin farthing.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Love it - very interesting!!
    Shep
  • Options
    << Perhaps Scott or Bill has a line on an image of a model Gothic Crown>>

I wish.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did other countries employ bi-metallic coins like this from the period? >>

Sort of.

imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I like bimetal coins, and that is the nicest one I've seen yet.
    Are they pricey?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking about the 1792 Silver Center Cent I just posted, then yes, they are extremely pricey.

If you're talking about the French piece laurentyvan posted, I dunno.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly 270 euro.
  • Options
    whoa! That's outa my stratusphere!
  • Options
    I'd love to have that coin!! image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That French coin is kind of cool.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the dead king! And I have a question-is this coin a pattern, or was it used for circulation?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thanks Jester-how you doing?

This coin is available in circulated grades so I would imagine they circulated-it's an assumption on my part- however as to what the extent of circulation was, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    That is a good question. I never thought much of it, even living here in Canada with the Twonie.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    That's one of the most fascinating parts of the Darkside experience ... the more you explore, the more novelty you discover!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image