Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few of my packages are in there...

October 18, 2004
CANADA POST ADVISES CUSTOMERS OF EXTREME BACKLOG OF INCOMING INTERNATIONAL MAIL
Ottawa -

Canada Post today announced a serious delay in the delivery of incoming international mail due to a backlog at the Canadian Border Services Agency in Vancouver.

“Parcels coming into Canada are taking up to five weeks to clear Customs”, said Cal Hart, senior vice-president, Marketing and Product Management for Canada Post. “While we understand the need for security precautions, this situation is unacceptable for our business and for Canadians. We can’t deliver the product until it is cleared by Customs.”

Canada Post receives dispatches from foreign posts on a daily basis and relies on the Canadian Border Services Agency officials in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal to review incoming mail admissibility to Canada as well as the assessment of any duties and taxes.

Since August 2002, mail has been subjected to backlogs at the Customs centre in Vancouver and today more than 150,000 packages (45 tractor-trailer loads) are waiting for Customs clearance in the Vancouver Mail Processing Plant.

“Not only is the backlog affecting our ability to deliver these items to our customers, it is now putting a strain on our equipment and tying up 100,000 square feet of operational space in the Vancouver plant”, said Hart. “Canadians are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the delays, to the point where Canada Post call centres are receiving up to 160 complaints per day.”

The CBSA has committed to Canada Post to have the backlog in Vancouver resolved in one month. In the interim, Canada Post advises anyone concerned about late delivery of an international mailing to contact their local Canadian Border Services Agency office.

As usual domestic mail is moving on time in Canada and is not affected by the Customs backlog.

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/corporate/about/newsroom/pr/default-e.asp?prid=1026
Corrupting youth since 2004

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up, historygeek image

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Ah, just in time for Christmas. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Yep. My father sent me a camera over a month ago. Not here.
  • Options
    I mailed a coin last week and it's already there. Maybe it's gotten better.
  • Options
    Last week, I mailed a Global Priority package to my daughter in Montreal on Friday, and she got it Tuesday Morning.

Albuquerque to Montreal in 2 Business days is better than usual. Normally it takes about 4 or 5 days.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    This backlog affects Western Canada only.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    I posted a coin to a customer in BC and still have not received feedback.
    It must be in the backlog!!!!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org