Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

How to PCGS crack out?

How is the best way to crack out a pcgs coin. usually dont but going to put a franklin in a set and dont want to damege the coin. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just close the slab in a vise, leaving nothing but the top (label) portion of the slab sticking out. Then take a hammer and whack the top off the slab. Then you can remove the slab and gently pry apart the two halves.

There are plenty of other methods. Others have more finesse, but the old "whack the top off with a hammer" has always worked well for me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CollectorcoinsCollectorcoins Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information
  • Options
    Wirecutters will work well.image
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Bandsaw--cut off the top & pry the thing open, carefully..
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been covered several times before, but here goes. Here is the method I have used for years - I learned it from watching a well known dealer crack out Morgans at the rate of about 10 a minute. First, you buy this tool:
    End Cutter

Position the end cutter at the 3'oclock position where the rubber insert is nearest the edge of the slab. Then crack the slab open. This usually takes only one crack - it will split clean across the face and the rubber insert can be removed easily. Never damaged a coin. With practice it takes 5 seconds.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to add.

Make sure you wear safety glasses no matter what method you use. The plastic shards are sharp!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Wirecutters will work well.

Larry
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    As cameonut indicated, I also use that exact pair of end cutters.
    They work better than any other "method" I've tried.
    Super nice cutting, and the slabs just pop apart. The newer NGC slabs are the toughest, tho. Their plastic is really resilient, and they take multiple "snips" to open them.
  • Options
    7summits7summits Posts: 316 ✭✭
    How about I send you a raw Frankie and you send me your slabbed one in return? image