Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Any MERC news of note?

Leaving for the weekend I though I'd open up here - any news in MERC land?

I picked up a super 67FB 1916 (don't laugh) original toned surfaces - one of the nicest I've seen - yup it took that long - just wouldn't settle for anything - a la Pinnacle site - I can't seem to link it - looks better in hand.

haven't added it as it won't make any difference yet image

Great Weekend to all image

Marc

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc
    Nice P/U the early nice ones are sure gettin scarce,a few months back I picked up a HI end 18S FB,and a real nice 38 MS 67FB

Al
  • Options

Flea market find.
    Cleaned..probably,but still....
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    We are working on adding Mercs to our site.
    We will have the largest inventory of Mercs anywhere within a month.
    We will carry ag3-ms69.
    Something for everybody.
    Almost 150 pieces ready to post.

Mercs are much harder to locate than Dollars.
    I have travelled thousands of miles looking for nice dimes at nice prices.
    Good luck" is what most dealers tell me.
    I always practice what I preach..so watch for my sets to have lots of upgrades soon.

News on NEWPS ASAP,
    Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I have a nice 18s in 65fb coming to me next week.
    I will add that one to my sets !

Sill looking for a 21d and 26s that I like...
    anyone have something ?
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al,

nice P/U too - the 18-S is tough in better FB upper grades image

Shuckins,

Nice find but I'd have it slabbed at once with any of the 'major services' - something about the mm on that coin bothers me - I hope I'm wrong.

Larry,
    Mercs are much harder to locate than Dollars.TextI have travelled thousands of miles looking for nice dimes at nice prices.....
    you bet that's true.
    PQ Merc's are truly tough - I wish you luck - let us know when you commence this new venture - Nice having another dealer aboard - although you must know you are up against the likes of Mike Printz who rocks when it comes to Mercury Dimes.

Marc
  • Options
    I have dealing with Mike for years now...we are friends..
    But I have more 68's for sale than he has total dimes image
    We should have over 100 mercs listed all times.
    Working on the website now image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    yup I saw that too - holy cow on the final price ............I actually had my heart set out ( well kind of) on his 45-D in 67FB - also yummy toned surfaces - which went for DOUBLE what my high bid was like $370 - amzing thing is I had 5 bidders that bid higher than me in last hour or soimage

Marc
  • Options
    t
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    " have dealing with Mike for years now...we are friends.." Who says we're friends??......image

"But I have more 68's for sale than he has total dimes" ....careful now Larry!! You may NOT have a clue how many Mercs I really have!!

Mike Printz
    Larry Whitlow, Ltd.
    Web Site
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    My good news is my 23-s came back PCGS 63FB!!! beautiful toning too!!!
  • Options
    With Larry's help I did add a 28p upgrade to the set,
    slowly adding when I can
    Tim Poston
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    I sold that 28p way too cheap didn't I image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Larry,
    just wait to you see the good prices you give me on the other stuff
    it will make the 28p seem way over pricedimage
    Tim
  • Options
    Brink,

tough date - I'm glad - nice - have any pics? Is that what you expected?

Tim,

Cool!! At least there is "some" merc activity image

and then there's the dealers here - oh Mike nice to have you post image - just got TWO eye candy cMerc's from Mike - both 67FB replacement dimes for 67FB's I already had but wanted better yet - 43S & 38D both truly upper end 67's.

Marc
  • Options

The 23-s graded everything of a 63, I expected 63-65fb, mattering on how harsh they wanted to be on it. the coin had a spot on the reverse where they had done some die polishing, but other than that, not a mark or anything anywhere.

Jared
  • Options
    ttt
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a new addition, courtesy of Larry, which I will be posting when I'm able to get a good photo this weekend.

I haven't been around here much lately - a new house is taking a lot of my time (and $$), but things are settling down.

<< <i>" have dealing with Mike for years now...we are friends.." Who says we're friends??...... >>

<< <i>"But I have more 68's for sale than he has total dimes" ....careful now Larry!! You may NOT have a clue how many Mercs I really have!! >>

Maybe we can have a battle to see who can sell nice Mercs at the lowest price??? image

Marc, I saw that you added a '25-D in 66FB recently. Tough coin, and I'll bet it's a beauty. When are you going to get a digital camera so you can share that great set of yours? image

Al, it's good to see you acquiring Mercs again.

Tim, you'd better watch out. Marc's trying to edge you out of the Top 5.

Is Ken (Fairlaineman) still around?

Jim

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    It is getting more and more difficult to find the NB coins in the grades I need. I have started a type set to keep myself busy.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    whoa is it really JIM!!!!image I was wondering when you'll have settled down - sure rub it in that you're that close now to the FUN shows and all image I do hope all is well image

Re the passing woes.....I decided long ago to stay away from that avenue - whenever and wherever I am I'm fine with that. I'm having fun atleast. (I think Tim is fine for now image)
    The 25-D you mentioned was my latest acquisition - it is a beauty indeed - you know I've been looking for 2 years for a "suitable" marc approved image " example - I may have a nice scan of it if so I'll get it up later or tomm late - I know I've been bad with digital thingy image

marc
  • Options
    My newest is a 25s 66fb..
    looks like a 67 to me image

Still looking for a nice looking 26s 63 and up

Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been too busy with work to look for mercury dimes for my collection. I hoe to find something before the end of the year.

Wishfull thinking!!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Jim and All,
    I havent giving up on the Mercs,just slowed down.Jim ,I can relate to new home,I myself
    Just aquired a new house,and between a pool,yard,and new furniture$$$,it's more than I thought.
    I also enjoy my collecting more without the registry .But still love them Mercsimage
    Good Luck to All.Al
  • Options
    I just added my FB merc sets to the Registry.
    It will be fun trying to catch the all time sets with the nicest dimes I can find,
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanging onto to all of my mercs while I have been hearing the siren call of the golden girls!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    while I have been hearing the siren call of the golden girls!imageimage

here is the 25-D - the spot on the neck is an old something of insignificance (this merc is in an older holder)-much more obvious on the photo indeed, the bands are also super split and all image

Larry,

good luck with your set I noticed you shot past everyoneimage

Marc

• Options
    Looks like you saw Katy image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I think Larry is buying up all the good mercs
    Timimage
  • Options
    I think Larry is buying up all the good mercs

yup a few weeks ago I think it was he bought up every freagin merc in sight regardless of etiquette and stormed over every simple man woman and beast to get to spot#2imageimage

Marc
  • Options
    Sorry guys...
    I have passed on alot of dimes that would have passed # 1,but I want nice coins..
    I will even buy a white coin if I have to image

POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I just added a new 1926-D in 64FB to my set. The first 2 pictures below were taken using artificial light, which I don't like. I can never get good color or pick up the luster as I'm able to do using natural light (sunlight). The 3rd picture was an early effort using natural light; the color and luster are more realistic, but it's not as sharp as I'd like it to be, and I didn't get a good obverse pic. At any rate, you can see the difference.

imageimage

imagettachments/26D64FBrevb
    .jpg">

Marc, I really like your '25-D. The fasces are so bold the photo almost looks 3 dimensional. What a great strike!

I also noticed new Merc set, The Good Collection, which has debuted at the # 11 position. Nice set, all FB, missing only 6 coins, and it includes the '16-D in 63FB. Perhaps the proud owner will step forward and join us here.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Jim
    Thats a beauty,looks better than 64.The only slite weakness I see is on the B,
    does it lack luster?
    Al
  • Options
    Al,

There are a couple of small marks on the neck and chin that limit the grade, and there is a flat area at the tops of "IB" in Liberty. I think it's a better strike than a lot of '26-D's I've seen; peripheral weakness seems to be a common problem for this date. The luster is decent, I just didn't get a good obverse picture. I'll try again this weekend.

Jim
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins Marc and Jim. Two of the tough dates to get struck up nicely. It appears you guys did just fine with those two...image

Just don't know what to say about that Larry guy. Do you long timers think he is a "Wannabe Merc Collector". Input needed on this subject.

imageimage

Ken
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also noticed the Good collection and hope the owner step up. It's always nice to meet new mercury dime collectors. Even though I now always down near the bottom of the top 20. I guess I need to find some extra money or hit the lottery for a small amout of cash to afford some of the dimes I need and to be truthful I'm picky but not that picky.

A 1919 dime in MS63 even no bands would be fine.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>A 1919 dime in MS63 even no bands would be fine. >>

Hmmm...did you buy that coin ?

Ken
  • Options
    Jim,
    I like that dime - it is actually a nice 64FB - I really prefer a dime that is upper tier to the grade it got. I believe it adds so much and of course to the thrill.

Your pictures are way better than mine - the one I have above (25-D) I admit as you know is not my handiwork. I'll turn 100 before I take such photos. That photo is from the seller (Pinnacle) .

Just don't know what to say about that Larry guy. Do you long timers think he is a "Wannabe Merc Collector". Input needed on this subject. I offered my opinion above on this culprit wannabe after I realized his "mad dash" imageimage Larry is having fun that I know image

Marc
  • Options
    This wannabe is having fun..

Just a bit of information for you Merc guys..

I sold over $30,000.00 worth of Mercs at the Santa Clara show.
    Mostly to dealers who were very happy to see somebody dealing in these little gems.

I picked up 5-6 newps for my set.

I have been into Mercs secretly for a long time...

More news later after I work on my new inventory list.
    Over 80 mercs for sale image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Here are a couple of very nice 67FB's I picked up from Larry awhile back.image My pics don't do the toning justice.

imageimage
    imageimage

BTW Marc, a great looking set!image
    Keith
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Keith,

Nice couple of dimes you have. Marc does have a great set. My 1935-S MS66 came in the mail today. It looks good.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Keith,

the 45-S looks like super example for the grade - my that is nice. You meant Larry WHitlow (Mike Printz) or Larry Larry that guy that was hocking away at all the tables somewhere in California snatching those lovely ladies away image ?

Tony,

What you expected? I hope image NB right?

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Marc, yes NB. A nice coin for my budget. I paid a bit over what I should have, but as you know this date is tough.

Any plans for the last coin you need? I see Heritage and David Lawence both have higher grades up for auction.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    image the price is insane for 16-D's with most I've seen not to my liking anyhows - this one hole is gonna be tough I admit - I can't justify the price these days, at least for those I've seen.

• Options
    Anyone collect Merc Proofs? See my post on Swap forum.
    Eddie
  • Options
    Tony on the 35S........image

Cmon Marc...spring for one of those babies. We were talking last year about the price increase and just look what has happened. They are still going up....image

Ken
  • Options
    I have to agree with Marc regarding the price for the '16-D. An MS65FB '16-D Merc is bid at exactly the same price ($36,000) as a '21-S Walker in MS64. I don't have a current pop report, but according to the last one I got, the '21-S is a MUCH tougher coin. Do more people collect Mercs than Walkers? Probably, because they're more reasonably priced - until you get to the '16-D. So it's most likely a combination of hype and higher demand for the '16-D.

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks Marc, the 45-s is in an OGH and you know what they say...image Larry, as in PQpeace, yes the one buying all the choice Merc's in CA. But he passes them on when he upgrades!imageimage

Tony,

Congrats on the 35-s, post a picture for us when you get a chance.

Jim,

The current pop on the 16-D is 31 in 65fb with 21 higher and a total of 320 fb's graded. The 21-s is 70 in 64 with 21 higher and a total of 415 graded. Also the mintage on a 21-s is more than twice the 16-d. I couldn't say what that means for sure, I'm no expert, just love coins!
    Keith
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3940038909&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting45 micro S

This 45 micro S came today --NGC 67 -- looks better than the photo. I was really pleased!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003