Does anybody collect Canadian stamps?

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Yes. I do.

Doug
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Cool, I just came across some, and I picked up an old 1987 Scott catalogue. Any tips for collecting these? Is the Scott numbering system popular and has it changed much since this 1987 cat.?

thanks
    -Colin
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Scott catalog numbers are pretty much the standard in the US and pretty popular for the rest of the world. Minkus and Brookman probably rank next in the US. If you live in Great Britain or specialize in those, you might have a Stanley Gibbons catalog; if you do German, then a Michel catalog; Yvert for France and so on. About the only changes in your 1987 catalog and a current one are the prices and adding the current stamps.

Doug
  • Options
    Main Canadian catalogs are the Darnell and Unitrade. They have different focus and collectors in general, have both (something like 20 bucks each). There are also FDC, local post, stationary, errors-freaks-and-oddities, fauna (hunting and fishing licenses), revenues and etc catalogs.

The numbering system of a catalog is copyrighted meaning, one catalog cannot use another’s numbering system. A few discussion groups may have an equivalence table between Darnell and Unitrade. Unitrade used to be licensed by Scott, don’t know if it still is.

Outside their country of publishing, Scott is popular in North America; Yvert in South America, Michel in Asia and Arab countries, S. Gibbons in the commonwealth. These catalogs are worldwide in scope and lack depth when dealing with specific countries. If you want to specialize in a country you will have to buy the locally edited catalog(s).
    Boldly Going Nowhere