Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My hypothetical Liberty Nickel set

I have been looking at Liberty Nickels over the past couple of weeks. Tonight I took a half hour and compiled a hypothetical set from coins available at auction (Heritage, B&M, ebay) and websites (Heritage, Pinnacle, and Legend). Just from those few sources, a set with 22 of 33 coins could be assembled. The GPA would be 65.76 and would rank #12 with score of 38.93. I don't know enough about the series yet to give a rough guess cost. I can say that there are probably about 6 of 22 in the 5-10K range and the rest in the 1-3K range.
To me, it looks like a fun and "doable" set. image

No, I won't be changing my icon...

Jack

Comments

• Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    are you counting the MS67 1899 in your estimates? Being that coin just sold for $14k+ on heritage a couple of months ago, I would have to guess the person has the reserve set 15% higher than that to get his money back. That would put it at $16.5K

it I had the cash, I would go for the liberty.
  • Options

SOG,

Yes, I am including the 1899. I guess the pricetag of my set just went up. I guess I didn't pay attention to the auction history data. That coin will be significantly more than 10K.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the Las Vegas Invitational, I got to view a complete set being submitted for review. Extraordinary quality and a very neat series!
  • Options

Just updated, it's a sea of red on my hypothetical set. I went to Wayne Herndon's site, David Lawrence and Superior and found a few more. My set is now #11 with a score of 54.37 and a GPA of 65.58. I am only missing the following: 88,89,94,96 and 06.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Cool! I would love to collect Liberty nickels too, just like I'd love to collect Indian Cents. However I want to finish the newer coins, Lincolns and Buffalo/Jeffersons, first!
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    jacktheknife,

You are seeing more gem lib nickels come out because the pricing for ms 66 and above is getting higher. Not too much happening with the non-key 65's.

But like all series, there are nice 66's and not too nice 66's. There are true 67's, and wannabee 67's. Many of the 66's have a hit or 2 on the obverse that prevents a true 66 grade. I do not think there are more than 10 true 67's(18 in PCGS pops) at PCGS.

So if you are trying to price the hypothetical set, it will probably take another 50% to put the set together in coins that are pq. I too have viewed the Baxi set, and know several of the coins in the Typetone and Carnton sets. These coins are great, and probably at least half a grade point above the coins that have been made in the last 1 to 2 years.

We would love to have your dream set become a reality. But look at a ton of coins, and try to find the real nice ones. The plastic grade
    will vary greatly coin to coin.

TahoeDale
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a couple examples with a 15 day return privilege. Spend some time with them and see if you enjoy them. Buy a book about the series and read it as you have the two in your possession. At the end of the two weeks, you'll know if it's the right thing to do.... image
  • Options
    Tradedollarnut-You must have seen the Baxi set-he told me he was going to Vegas to get it submitted. I too saw it a while back when Tahoe saw it. It was unreal. He said Legend was very instrumental in getting it put together.My set is only about 50 % complete.I bought a few coins from Bill earlier this year and he tought me a lot about what to look for. Also has anyone seen Tahoe's set? Bill said the quality was superb plus.I hope these guys are right, i too thought the series was terribly undervalued.Where else to get a pop 5 coin for only 6-7 K?
    Toned coin collector
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Jack,
    I decided to hypothetical hold the MS67 1899 hostage so that you cannot get it.

-sog
  • Options

Oh... a hypothetical bidding war? This should be interesting. Fine, I'll sign up for "Take six hypothetical months to pay" and then I'm going all out!

Jack
  • Options
    I agree with Dale. There are 66s and there are 66s. Maybe more in this series than most. I finally bought a 1901 in PCGS MS66 after looking at several other rejects. And, the one I bought isn't perfect, but at least a true 66. Truthfully my 65 is better. So, be careful when you are buying 66s, if you are ever planning to sell. The top collectors usually won't buy the lower quality ones at the best prices. A good place to look for nice 66s is in current 65 holders that were graded some time ago. Some of these are definately upgrade candidates. For example, I recently upgraded to 66 two of my former 65 dates (1910 and 1891). Both were clear 66s and better than many 66s being graded today. About 2/3rds of my set was put together by Frank Thomas. He had a real eye for quality, and seemingly bought most of this pieces when grading was very tight. It seems that PCGS had a bias towards white coins in this series. It seems they are finally starting to recognize the attraction of original and beautiful pieces.

BTW, Dale undoubtably has a phenomenal set. Possibly the best in the world. I own a few of his dups, and they are great. I can't imagine how his primaries look. A few of his are still in NGC holders or his would have the top set at PCGS.

Greg (Typetone)
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the #1 set?image
    Toned coin collector