Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Rare Guido Goetz Birth Medal K-335

K-335 BIRTH MEDAL FOR GUIDO GOETZ (SON OF KARL GOETZ), 1912, Cast AE, 47mmX61.3mm, UNC, RRR

Obverse: Mercury standing on the world surrounded by astrological signs, Legend: “Pass up the world, it is nothing” Reverse: Touching finger –tips, Legend: “In the year 1912 on the 18th of October, the Friday before the parish fair, at 7.20 in the morning was born Guido Maximilian Karl Goetz in Munich and was baptized in St. Ludwig church. With wishes of God’s grace, blessing and long life. Amen. K.u.M.G. (Karl and Margarete Goetz)” Legend on the outside border: “Times go by as do pleasures”.

Comments

• Options
    Very cool piece. How many were made?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Don't know Bill, I can only go by what the collectors and dealers out of Germany tell me and they have seen so few of these up for grabs over so long a period that it can be assumed probably less than 10 are known outside of museum collections. Add in the factor of condition and I doubt there are five in this shape. This is only conjecture of course...he also made medals for the birth of his two daughters but for some reason they don't garner the rarity tag like the Guido medal does, perhaps more were made. I don't know.

Hard to imagine this, at less than 3" tall, could be cast in such minute detail without losing any of the design. Another testament to the skill ol' Karl had in both design and casting expertise.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Another testament to the skill ol' Karl had in both design and casting expertise.

In many ways he made the medium his own, didn't he? I like this medal because it shows another side of Goetz-almost whimsical and fanciful. Its execution is also of the first water.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    My wife, who dabbles in astrology, is going to take a closer look at this when she can. I am sure Karl is saying something with the symbols, for instance, the sun is in the House of Libra, hence Guido's birthdate but what else is he saying? Why Mercury, and why the scattered about signs on the obverse. Perhaps we'll get an idea after she looks at it closer.
  • Options
    Great medal!

Nice to have you back from your journey and posting again. Missed your "show and tell" posts

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    I just received an email in response to the above image I sent to a Goetz dealer/collector friend of mine. He said that this medal is RRR. He has never seen one up for sale in his thirty years of collecting. Looks like I have a tiny Holy Grail....heh heh
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>Looks like I have a tiny Holy Grail....heh heh >>

Fantastic!!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    What a great givaway!!
    Ok, ok, somebody had to say it.
    Your medals never cease to awe me. They are a really, really great collection. Congrats on this little treasure.
    -John
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    0john0- where ya been?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    <<He said that this medal is RRR>>

Makes you feel tingly all over don't it? image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    0john0- where ya been?

A combination of factors, including dial-up, poverty, a uncooperative scanner, frustration with local dealers, and my wife is expecting, kept me away from here for a little while.
    But now, joy of joys, I got high-speed Cox internet so I can stop in anytime!!
    I've got some coins coming in soon and some that I sent off for slabbing so I will be posting some pictures in the coming weeks.

nice to be back
    -john
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    That is indeed superb!! You truly and indecently suck!!!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    " That is indeed superb!! You truly and indecently suck!!!!"

With this coming from the Sorceror himself, perhaps I should incorporate "suck" somewhere into my yet to be chosen moniker...heh heh image