Home Q & A Forum

Was DMPL Morgan Designation Introduced During or After Gen-1 "Rattlers" ??

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
<< We started out by just having non-PL and PL. The really deep black and whites brought big premiums, so about 15 years ago we added DMPL. >>

David: After reading your above quote, I began to wonder how many Morgan Dollars may have been graded by PCGS as PL's (now with reasonable chance for DMPL upgrade) prior to PCGS' introduction of the DMPL designation which you mention occurred ~15 years ago.

According to "Conder101", one of the forum's resident slab experts, PCGS used the small "Rattler" Gen-1 slabs from, Feb 1986 through Sept 1989. Thus the Gen-1 slabs were being phased out about the same time that you mentioned the DMPL designation was implemented by PCGS.

My question is: Was the DMPL designation introduced during or after the PCGS Gen-1 slab grading period??

If after, then none of the "Rattlers" would have the DMPL designation, and many PL Gen-1's could have DMPL upgrade potential.

If during, then still a high percentage of PL "Rattlers" could potentially upgrade to DMPL's.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Stuart,

I can't remember when DMPL was introduced but I think it was pretty early. I think I've seen some DMPLs in Rattlers, but I might be wrong.

Thanks,

avid