Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

mantle lot goes for 18 grand

mantle rookies

I know there was a thread about this lot earlier but i have been watching it and think something just doesnt set right with me. First in the questions asked by the bidders the seller acted as though he had never heard of psa...strange for a seller named vintagecardforyou. Then the winning bidder is a mild ebayer who drops 18 grand on a potential scam. Non the less i emailed the winner and asked him if he would keep me updated on the success or failure of the auction.

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I've been tracking that auction for the guide I run through eBay that explains how to spot fake 52 Topps and 51 Bowman Mantle's. Both the 52 Mantle's, all 3 of the 51 Bowman Mantle, the 53 Mantle, and the 33 Goudey Gerhig are fakes. All the other cards look real (I don't know about auto's though) to give the idea that all the cards are real, but it's all beat up garbage. The sale will never transact, I can nearly guarantee it. A bunch of people have contacted that buyer I'm sure, and eBay will soon NARU that seller.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I'll give him this: He showed some real cards along with the reprints, and even some reverses (oddly out of focus). If the winner sends the money and receives anything at all with delivery confirmation, he'll have a hard time getting his $18K back. That's if the seller even exists any more after cashing in.

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    LOL, it looks like he didn't even use the same Mantles for this auction as he did for the one he listed in September (which didn't sell).

Mantles in first auction

Mantles from current auction

The cards don't have the same centering, color, condition, or anything - the only common element is the Mick.