Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

eBay selling copies ethical questions

I meant to post THIS THREAD here on the darkside but I posted on the other side by mistake. Anyone here care to add to it?
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    At $4.99 and with a clear description, how could he harm anybody?
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You've made a good, clean, clear case for your point of view my friend.image

Deceitful sellers learned early on to either bury or artfully conceal within the text any mention of the coin being a copy or replica.
    For many it's been a license to steal by staying within a technically correct framework and even that is argueable.

We seem to be a society today which has learned to tread all over the spirit of a law while obeying it technically.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    <<At $4.99 and with a clear description, how could he harm anybody? >>

Why did he not put copy in the title? Why was it not until the LAST paragraph of the description the word copy shows up?

eBay's and the ANA's rules are just a hair under what they need to be. That is my point. The word Copy should be required in the title and the images should big enough to actually show the copy mark. Then there would be no questions on the seller morality.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill, it's not in the title but it's in the description:

[If you want that certain jingle in your pocket, this beautiful copy coin is just what you need. Cast in pewter from an original 1777 gold coin, this beautiful copy is then gold plated for the proper look. If you are a high class gentleman, you would not dirty your gloves with anything but true coin of the realm. You are bidding on one replica gold guinnea coin

edited: sorry, reread your post, you are correct. image
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options

If you were looking for a real 1777 GOLD GUINEA I think you would be pissed after wading through his lengthy description to find it is a really a copy. While others that don't read the full description would be ( yes their own fault ) also be pissed. But copy in the TITLE would end all that.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>If you were looking for a real 1777 GOLD GUINEA I think you would be pissed after wading through his lengthy description to find it is a really a copy. While others that don't read the full description would be ( yes their own fault ) also be pissed. But copy in the TITLE would end all that. >>

image What else is there to say, except stay away from this scumbag's auctions?
    Roy