Home U.S. Coin Forum

1851-O Seated Dollar, where is it residing currently?

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question... There's been some very important research done on this and its ilk regarding their coming to existance. I'm not confident on the details, and my research material is disorganized right now. Maybe someone like Pistareen or Coinosaurus can chime in...

BTW, I've always loved this coin.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone like BV had the coin and was working up a story (and testimonials) to proclaim it as the first and only branch mint "whatever" and ask $2,000,000 for it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Wouldn't suprised me if one showed up on the SS Republic
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in a private collection.

Wouldn't suprised me if one showed up on the SS Republic

I would be shocked, considering it was made at the Philadelphia mint outside normal channels.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last sold at Golbergs 9/03:535 ($276K). The coin was previously in an ANACS PR62 holder but has now been "blessed" by PCGS at the same grade.

MrEureka posted a fab photo of the "O" mintmark on the 51-O in the thread at:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=216001&STARTPAGE=2

Latest thinking on the coin is that it was a bungled attempt at making a restrike of the 1851, a coin highly valued in the 19th century. In this case they apparently restruck over an O-mint dollar. Supporting this idea is the recent discovery of an 1851 struck over an 1846 dollar (ANR 3/2004:1165, did not sell). The first thing to look for on any fresh 1851 dollar is evidence of overstriking.

No idea where it's at. TDN apparently knows image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file