Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

EUROS! I live here, may as well collect 'em.

Although finding a medal or coin to impress the pants off the lot of you is gratifying, it's often hard [and stressful] to top myself.
....that may sound pompous but... yeah it is pompous. But after last week's forgery fiasco I decided to cool down for a little while and spend some time collecting some Euros. There's no other coin I want to get here save a Frankfurt Gedenkentaler from the 1860's and they're easy to come by. Plus I want to spend more money on alcohol and these people I've seen with these bumps on their chests.

So I went to the department store to pick up a nice Euro book. Yes, the department stores here sells a lot of coin and stamp accessories as well as coins and stamps themselves (although there's a hugely limited selection without a knowledgeable dealer present).

Collecting Euros seems to be a popular past time here. But what I notice with the albums is that many, many of them look blatantly PVC infested. I bought a nice high quality one worthy of Whitman.

imageimage

I got home and showed my room mate what I got. Following the typical indifferent "Ach so". I then told her that yes, it is a nerdy hobby. "Genau" she retorted ("Exactly"). Then she said it's a hobby for older parents. I didn't really care since she's one of the top math students in the country and that
pretty much beats me in the nerd category.

Anyway, the main thing is that these albums never come with pages for Monaco, San Marino and The Vatican but are available separately for more serious collectors. Some albums just ignore the three city states outright.

I've gotten everything out of my change except for Italy (which I picked up BU in the department store) so far.

Years and mintmarks are irrelevant for me:

Belgium:
20¢, 1 euro. Both in rough shape.
Germany:
I'll pick up a proof set one day.
Ireland:
2¢. Okay shape.
Spain:
2,10¢. 1 Euro. Circulated.
Greece:
Nil
France:
1,2,5,10,20¢. Circulated.
Italy:
All of 'em. BU.
Luxembourg:
50¢ Rough shape.
Netherlands:
2¢ (BU), 20¢ (Circulated)
Austria:
2¢ (BU), 5¢ (Circulated), 20¢ (Nice shape), 1 euro (Circulated).
Portugal:
Nil
Finland:
Nil
Sanmarinovaticanmonaco:
Nada

Comments

• Options
    Pocket Change!image

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    One question about those albums (never hadf one like that, never seen one either, heard of them though). Wouldn't the coins discolour and won't the 'copper' ones go all dull and horrible rather than retaining their full lustre in such albums?
  • Options
    Dunno. Don't those toned Whitman coins sell for billions of dollars? I could be sitting on a goldmine here.
  • Options
    Hey - if worse comes to worse you can always get a sandwich with the change image
  • Options

<< <i>One question about those albums (never hadf one like that, never seen one either, heard of them though). Wouldn't the coins discolour and won't the 'copper' ones go all dull and horrible rather than retaining their full lustre in such albums? >>

No. These Whitman albums are one of the best coin storage systems that I know of. Chances are that the silver coins will tone, but unfortunately there aren't any silver euros.

Phil, I thought your roommate was a coin collector. I'll pick up some Greek ones for you. Unless you want to come and pick them up yourself. image
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    My other room mate's sister is a coin collector. I just found her collection one day. A cookie tin filled with tons of European coins beckoning me... I must resist.

I'd like some Greek Euro's image Some of the coin albums had a SONDERANGEBOT!!! or special offer, you buy the binder for 24 Euro and you get a 2004 Greek Euro set complete with the new 2 Euro commemorative. I didn't pick up that set for PVC concerns.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One question about those albums (never hadf one like that, never seen one either, heard of them though). Wouldn't the coins discolour and won't the 'copper' ones go all dull and horrible rather than retaining their full lustre in such albums? >>

No. These Whitman albums are one of the best coin storage systems that I know of. Chances are that the silver coins will tone, but unfortunately there aren't any silver euros.

Phil, I thought your roommate was a coin collector. I'll pick up some Greek ones for you. Unless you want to come and pick them up yourself. image >>

That's a great idea. image I picked up an almost complete BU set (including the Olympic 2 euro but minus the 1 cent and 5 cent) by scouring pocket change while I was in Greece a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    I have all the Euros except for Monaco, San Marino and The Vatican. I bought them the first year they came out in special sets sold by Gatewest
    Coins in Canada.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice start for the collection, Darkhorse image

Looks like fun, too image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I have yet to have the heart to add Irish euros to my collection but I've been temptedimage Looks like you've got a great start Darkhorse.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image I pulled stuff out of pocket change too, but I just couldn't see the point in paying for euros.. they're absurdly expensive. I did buy a BU Italian set, plus a Finnish and Greek one but I got them cheap. All the other designs are crap if you ask me. (At the weekend flea market me and my favorite seller, a real old timer, would always grumble about euro collectors.. it was funny, especially with the infomercial-flamboyant guy selling euros two stalls over.)

As for albums, I did get a Lindner album for euros (so I guess I have two). The euro ones are different from the regular and Karat albums, made to hold one type set per slide, 3 sets per page and side loading. Lindner pages are some sort of plastic, but I don't think it has PVC. I never had problems and I have old red copper and frosty unc silver in my other Lindner brand album.
  • Options
    I understand what you're saying. Some ofthe Euros are not the best looking things: Belgium's are boring, ditto Netherlands and Luxembourg. But maybe some designs will change over the years. And some of them do seem oddly expensive.
    But I don't want to mess with ebay here, nor travel to find a decent coins shop, nor spend large amounts on the kind of coins I like to spend money on.

This seemed like a logical, entertaining, and more cost effective way to waste time. Plus I can resist spending the higher denomination coins.
  • Options

<< <i>
    No. These Whitman albums are one of the best coin storage systems that I know of. Chances are that the silver coins will tone, but unfortunately there aren't any silver euros. >>

Well that's the problem with them, coins will tone. Probably vile shades of magenta and orange or signal box red.

If it ain't blue/grey it's gotta be white.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭
    I have some circulated (but nice shape) Euros available to trade, if anyone is interested! I only need a few more to close out my 1999-2002 1-per-denomination-per-mintmark-per-country-per-year set!!image

Extras available to trade:

Belgium 20eurocents 2000
    Finland 50c 1999
    Finland $2Euros 2000
    France 10c 2001
    France 1c 2000
    France 5c 1999
    France $1Euro 1999
    Germany 20c 2002 "D"
    Germany 1c, 2c, & 5c 2002 "A"
    Greece 10c 2002 "F"
    Greece 20c 2002 "E"