Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help with son's science project.

Not sure why the other didn't post right. here it is again

My son wants do do his 8th grade science project on how and why coins or various metals tone over time. This was inspired by toned coins he has seen and by Frattlaws recent experiments. He doesn't need help with the actual project but I do need help in giving his project a proper title. My brain is tired tonight and I can't think of the proper way to name such a project

How coins change color over time just seems too simple and not accurate enough.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    "From Silver to a Pot Of Gold: How Coins Tone"

(reference to rainbows)

OR

"Change Recovered From My Great Grandfather's Couch: The Effects Of Coin Toning"
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    I did a toned coin display at the ANA and Central States & called it "Some Call it Tarnish, We Call it Toning"

Try and get your son to come up with a play on words that include color, rainbow, or the like. The process is called "thin film interference" and there have been several threads that discuss this on our boards - but it's be better if you showed him how to do a google search and help him learn how that effect happens - think oil slicks, soap bubbles and the color reflections on CD Roms. All are some variation of thin film inteference - BUT that is HS & freshman college physics stuff and is a bit hard to understand for an 8th grader. It can be simplified so its understandable as I explained it in layman's terms for my exhibits and people who had no science background commented to me that the explanations were very useful in understanding toning. Hope this helps
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    Great advice Newmismatist.

I guess he could call it

Some Call it Tarnish
    Thin film interference and the toning of silver coins
  • Options
    Well... a decent knowledge of chemistry would be helpful. The chemical equations for the interactions would be impressive for an 8th grader.
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options

<< <i>This was inspired by toned coins he has seen and by Frattlaws recent experiments. >>

Wow I helped to inspire a child. That's a first! Thanks!

By the way I like Some Call it Tarnish: Thin film interference and the toning of silver coins

Good choice!

If you need any help with it let me know!

Michael
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure why the other didn't post right. here it is again

My son wants do do his 8th grade science project on how and why coins or various metals tone over time. This was inspired by toned coins he has seen and by Frattlaws recent experiments. He doesn't need help with the actual project but I do need help in giving his project a proper title. My brain is tired tonight and I can't think of the proper way to name such a project

How coins change color over time just seems too simple and not accurate enough.

Any suggestions??

Thanks! >>

I did almost the exact same thing for my 7th grade science project. I'd suggest "Effects of (whatever you plan to tone them with here) on the Oxidation of Metals. I used powdered sulfur in my project and stuck the metal in the oven attempting to do a shake & bake, but getting just a bake. No AT for me...just BUT - Butt Ugly Toning!
  • Options
    Science Project ???
    This Board ???

Too early in the morning ...

"Toning or Tarnish - All in one's perspective"
    "Toning? Oxidation or Contamination?"
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!

We have decided to stick with the - Some Call it Tarnish: Thin film interference and the toning of silver coins title.

I appreciate the PM's of articles and suggestions. This will be a fun project and I have a several cleaned Morgans we will use for the experiment, that way when it is all done I can simply dip the ugly toners we will undoubtedly get and not be out anything.

By the way this is not a project designed to teach my son how to doctor coins but rather to teach him the chemistry and processes involved. He's only got three months to complete the project not the years it would take to NT. He also was worried that we would be ruining the Morgans used in the project so he is thinking along the right lines.

Thanks again image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file