Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

<cringe> 1st post on the ds

I would like to know if anyone has any info on a $5 silver piece from the Republic of the Marshall Islands......obv has First Men on the moon dates 1969 and 1989 .... rev has date of 1989

It is still sealed and in excellent shape. Are these collectable?

Thanks
This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Comments

• Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Back in the day I had a nice collection of meteorites. I had this coin on display in the center of them. As I recall, it's silver and has the astronauts on the lunar surface? Lord knows where it is now, but I liked it.
    As far as collectible, it's more a matter of what you like.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I think I have one of those, and it's cu-ni. I highly doubt it's worth more than $10.

Nice cats!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The Marshall Islands is almost the king of NCLT's.

The coin you describe is the single one that I've purchased from the Marshall Islands (due to the subject matter).

Mine cost me $3.00 a year ago and my 2003 Krause has it listed at $3.50.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the help all!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Post often - No question is ignored.....and please don't cringe when posting here - Welcome to the group.image
    Shep
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    The <cringe> was probably more from looking over his shoulder to see if there were any Litesiders watching. image

BTW, "NCLT" is "non-circulating legal tender" in case you're not aware of it. US American Eagles are a case in point. They have a nominal valuation, but they're intended for bullion collectors, not for commerce. A number of tiny nations or territories issue NCLTs in large quantities to raise revenues for their governments. Usually they are best purchased on the secondary market since their initial offering prices are so high that it can take decades -- if ever -- for their resale value to regain that price level.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    KM 13 and it is coppernickel not silver. None of the five dollar coins are silver. The fifty dollar coins are the silver ones. Ten dollars are copper.
  • Options
    Never feel the need to cringe when posting a question here. Just beware, once you delve into it the darkside has you!
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3