Home Sports Talk
Options

No penalty by baseball on Sheffield admission

No penalty by baseball on Sheffield admission

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
October 5, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Yankees star Gary Sheffield will not be penalized by the commissioner's office after his admission that he unknowingly used a cream two years ago that contained illegal steroids.

Sports Illustrated reported in this week's issue that the New York outfielder was supplied a cream by BALCO, the California lab at the center of a federal probe into illegal steroids distribution.

Sheffield said he applied the cream on his surgically repaired right knee in 2002. He was not told it contained an illegal steroid, the magazine said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Under baseball's labor deal, players with major league contracts were each tested once for steroids this season. A provision allows more frequent testing if a joint management-labor panel of physicians finds ``reasonable cause.''

``There is a reasonable-cause provision in the Basic Agreement, but it is limited to activity within the last 12 months. Obviously, this activity was before the 12-month window,'' Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, said at Yankee Stadium before Tuesday's AL playoff series opener against Minnesota.

``The more important issue is what are people doing today. That's why we have a testing program and we have good information on all major league players as a result of the testing program,'' Manfred said.

Bob Holley, the lawyer for BALCO president Victor Conte, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Tuesday that ``BALCO provided Gary Sheffield with no illegal substances and the check BALCO received from Sheffield was for legal nutritional supplements.''

Sheffield refused to address the situation Tuesday but said it would not distract him.

``I always speak my mind, like I told you all that before. That's a story I did before, and I stick by that and that's the end of it,'' he said.

``Unfortunately, everything always comes out when it's a special moment for me and my teammates,'' he said. ``Same thing happened the first day of spring training, the same thing happens the first day of the playoffs. I'm looking forward to getting it behind me and moving forward.''

Yankees manager Joe Torre said he would be surprised if the issue distracts Sheffield.

``Sheff had to deal with this in spring training. He's all baseball, as far as I'm concerned,'' Torre said. ``I guess if you're going to play in any town that gets you used to distractions, it's this one. So maybe he's had some practice, being able to focus on what he needs to focus on.''

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 5, 2004

RIP Snow

Comments

• Options
    No big suprise here. MLB will NEVER admit the steroid problem....and the LAST thing the MLB commissioner or team owners want to do is start busting all of the superstar players like Sheffield and BALCO Bonds.....
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Why should he be penalized for it anyway? The penalty should lie with the agent -- Bonds and his buddies. He thought it was a salve. But this is just the start of the oyster opening on Bonds.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal, as he was applying it topically to heal a wound, and not to promote muscle building.

That said, any world-class athlete needs to be careful with what he is administering to himself. Olympic athletes know enough to avoid cough syrup and other legal medicines that might contain banned substances. Sheffield should have been more careful. Would you apply a cream to your skin if you didn't know exactly what was in it?
  • Options
    And the fact that MLB won't admit the problem is going to hurt them in the long run....they will regret their negligence. It baffles me....
    just another shot in the dark, but....