Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

It's Been A While Since I Have Added A Franklin To My Set - 1951(d) Franklin Half Dollar

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
It is not often that MS68 from our boards gives up on an upgrade coin so darn quickly - this one, just a mere 9 months after purchase. I am glad he did, as it is getting harder and harder to find NICE pop top Franklins. This is the first coin I have been able to add to my set in nearly a year. If I ever get the coin in 67FBL holder, dinner is on me - name your city in the world image

51(d) Franklin Half

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    Mitch have you seen this in person yet? I hope the colors are much better than Heritage's images.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Mitch- Congrats on your purchase. The coin looks much nicer than the Heritage image as you are well aware. You can thank PCGS for tightening up on the pop top grading for my giving up so quickly on this coin. Good luck with it.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    Bill: Obverse is lovely color. If you blow up the Heritage picture you get a little better look at it. Essentially as mark-free as many an MS67FBL as well (technically very nice). This date tends to come "blah" a good bit of the time in the 66FBL grade.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick up Mitch. I'm surprised Rick Tomaska didn't win this one.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>Nice pick up Mitch. I'm surprised Rick Tomaska didn't win this one. >>

Yeah, then he could mark it up about 300%!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    That is as clean a 51D as you can find...I spent years collecting frankies and I know 51D is one of the toughest dates to find with virtually no marks!imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Well hell, I guess It's time to send my older holder 65fbl in for upgrade!

imageimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Funny to see this thread again - 3 more months have passed with no Franklin buys. I believe (2) of the top (10) MS sets have also sold off as well since then. Maybe I can find a coin or two soon image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I've seen a lot of decent quality (judging by photo's) on the Auction venues.
    I'll be looking, casually, until I see one I can't live without!
  • Options
    I picked up a couple Franklins this morning in the Heritage sale (decent coins at historic low prices). I did let the 1961(p) MS66FBL (pop 3) go at $4500 hammer - by all accounts this was a $20,000++ coin 12-18 months when the pop was -2-. This sales price, IMHO, is the "poster child" for proof that the MS Franklins, as a series, have hit their lowest level in years (and also quite possibly the fact that NO ONE is buying the serial numbers in this series any more?). Obvious terrible news for 'investors" and "speculators" of the series who bought coins in the past couple years and not particularly bad news for dedicated collectors of the series with patience to build a wonderful collection over years, if not decades.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Ayyuuuhh. There were a few bargains for sure! The white 1950-D MS66FBL sure seems cheap at $2500.

It will look real nice in my set.image
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Congrats! If ever a '51-D has a chance, this one is it. What a coin!!

Ed

If you ever come across a '58-P type 2 in 65FBL, let me know.
  • Options

<< <i>Ayyuuuhh. There were a few bargains for sure! The white 1950-D MS66FBL sure seems cheap at $2500.

It will look real nice in my set.image >>

Did you snatch that up? Good for you.

Wondercoin....I understand what your saying, but I am a contrarian, and 66 plus material, beautifully toned, is still good for me!image
  • Options
    Good points by all.

IMHO, bottom line is the #3 MS Franklin Collection sold this morning at levels that had dealers buying up many of the coins. I believe that was partly due to the no reserve nature of the auction and also partly due to the fact that very few collectors had an interest in many of the coins at anything near current "retail" levels in this sale (including the buyers premium). Heck, one of the 1961(p) coins in PCGS-MS65FBL sold for less than $500 hammer and a 1963(d) PCGS-MS66FBL sold for less than $1,000 hammer (and I was the one bidding it up from $550 where it opened on the floor). A variety of 53(d) MS66FBL coins hammered around $750/coin and even one of the 57(p) PCGS-MS67FBL coins hammered around $1,800 it appeared. A dealer bought the 49(d) in PCGS-MS66FBL at $4,000 hammer - way under any recent sales prices I am aware of and the coin was really nice quality as well. I think a nice 53(p) in 66FBL also sold around the $2,000 hammer level and so on (even a 51(d) in PCGS-MS66FBL sold for less than $1,000 - I do not recall ever seeing that in many, many years). Not to mention 50(d) PCGS-MS66FBL around $2,500 hammer.

As I mentioned, a great time for the patient collector to work on a collection.

Incidently, I am not suggesting the MS Franklin series is "dead" - these buying opportunities occur in many 20th century series from time to time. A few years ago - there was a Lincoln cent auction where the coins sold for "rock bottom" prices nearly across the board - only to rebound and reach record levels in the months and years ahead. What I have seen though is the collector base for MS Franklins of late is simply not interested in chasing "registry points) (ex: pop 3 1961(p) MS66FBL selling for next to nothing this morning and no collectors really caring about it from what I saw) - to many, this may be perceived as a "good thing".

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Wondercoin,
    I've seen a lot of these Registry Franklins. I've handled thousands of Franklins in my life time. To me, and I'm tough, many are overgraded. So I can't help but think that there are going to be a lot of 66 coins going for 65 money (i.e., retail) and so on.

Grading services, teletrade, ebay, etc. would all be barely making it if all they gave out were 63's and 64's.
  • Options
    Madmonk - Your point was exactly the same 12 or so months ago, except that the 1961(p) in PCGS-MS66FBL was a $20,000+ coin then and today was a $5,200 coin (with buyers fee) - right?

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Madmonk - Your point was exactly the same 12 or so months ago, except that the 1961(p) in PCGS-MS66FBL was a $20,000+ coin then and today was a $5,200 coin (with buyers fee) - right?

Wondercoin >>

Was it? Damn, what a memoryimage
    I wonder who paid 20K for it...A speculation Investor, Collector, or a real died in the wool Franklin 20 yr veteran Franklin Collector/Expert.

20K is idiotic.

When it comes to Franklins populations have nowhere to go but up up up!
  • Options

<< <i>...(and also quite possibly the fact that NO ONE is buying the serial numbers in this series any more?). ...
    Wondercoin >>

WC, I don't understand this comment. Could you elaborate?
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Simply that in the past, it was my impression that super low pop coins (pops 1, 2, or 3 for example) might command prices in the $20k's or even higher even though the coins were not "monster color" coins or super high end specimens for the grade. It now appears to me the coins must be something "special" to have a good shot at those kind of figures - at least in the past year or so. Just my observation.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Oh, yes, I know what you mean W/C. Pretty toning and outrageous eye-appeal are King last couple yrs. or so.

Yet any Pop 1 coin, (particularly those that were previously Pop zero), still have at least the potential for runaway prices, especially for a "hot series" like Lincolns, but less so for Franklins as they are out of vogue. But I am stating the obvious!

Bottom line...like you said... this is a tremendous time to buy Franklins!

Greg
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Simply that in the past, it was my impression that super low pop coins (pops 1, 2, or 3 for example) might command prices in the $20k's or even higher even though the coins were not "monster color" coins or super high end specimens for the grade. It now appears to me the coins must be something "special" to have a good shot at those kind of figures - at least in the past year or so. Just my observation.

Wondercoin >>

I think you are spot on. I also think the explanation is fairly simple. There are only a handful of sold $20k+ Franklins out there. Want to know where almost all of them are? Just go to the Registry, you'll find them in two places.

No doubt the series overall has weakened, but not as bad as this week might seem to indicate. The coins in auction were not that strong for the grade. The other factor is that the dealer network is not supporting the series, something that could change quickly.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Wondercoin,
    I've seen a lot of these Registry Franklins. I've handled thousands of Franklins in my life time. To me, and I'm tough, many are overgraded. So I can't help but think that there are going to be a lot of 66 coins going for 65 money (i.e., retail) and so on.

<< <i>

I will second what Monk sez - alot of this new MS-66 material is last decade's high end 65 stuff. I had the single , lone , only graded 1952-D MS-66 PCGS Franklin 6 years ago - mind you , after 12 years of grading ; it was the ONLY '52-D graded 66 by PCGS up until that time !
    Now how many are there ? 30 ?? , 40 ?? It's complete bullsheet -
    of corse low end , barely made the grade crap is not going to bring strong money.

You bring a superb , high end MS-66 Rainbow into this market and it will be scooped up faster then you can say " snipe " -
    and it will bring S I L L Y money !!
  • Options
    [q I had the single , lone , only graded 1952-D MS-66 PCGS Franklin 6 years ago - mind you , after 12 years of grading ; it was the ONLY '52-D graded 66 by PCGS up until that time !
    Now how many are there ? 30 ?? , 40 ?? It's complete bullsheet !! >>

Well I must own the second. Got my 52-D PCGS66 Franklin in early 1999. Agree with you to a degree. Grading standards are weaker. But I also think the run-up in price starting a few years ago had people scouring the mint sets and other sources for more pieces. The combination spiked the pops.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Hanor you old son of a gun ,
    i sold that 52-D pop. 1 in '99 ! It went thru J. Schuch's filthy little fingers right into R. Tomaska's hands !!
    As did the worlds prettiest 49-S Franklin that you passed on : 'ole Rick shelled out 2 grand more then i offered you the piece for !!
    And the best part of it all is Leber blew by that 49-S looking thru my boxes as if it wasn't even there.......
    guess he figured he couldn't doctor up what was already perfect !! image
  • Options
    Yes! Now we are making sense. At least there is acknowledgement that in this series, the coin has to stand for the grade, and have very good eye appeal. All the new Franklin Collectors didnt really know the series, and they bought plastic and populations. Then they have a rude awakening when they get some experience viewing coins that I would call truly collectable and desireable. Like my icon coin.

Sounds like You guys really have a handle on Franklins. Damn, what a pleasure to talk with veterans.
  • Options

<< <i>Hanor you old son of a gun ,
    i sold that 52-D pop. 1 in '99 ! It went thru J. Schuch's filthy little fingers right into R. Tomaska's hands !!
    As did the worlds prettiest 49-S Franklin that you passed on : 'ole Rick shelled out 2 grand more then i offered you the piece for !!
    And the best part of it all is Leber blew by that 49-S looking thru my boxes as if it wasn't even there.......
    guess he figured he couldn't doctor up what was already perfect !! image >>

Supercarcoins, you're back!!! Where you been? You are da Franklin man!

I didn't pass on your 49-S, you didn't like my offer. But then again, I can be as tough an s.o.b. as you. I passed on the first 49-S in 67, twice, when Heritage had it, and then again in auction, FUN 99 I think. Yours was nicer.

And don't remind me that I didn't jump all over your coins when they became available. I still regret it.
  • Options

And don't remind me that I didn't jump all over your coins when they became available. I still regret it. >>

................D.H , glad your still in the game too ! Franklin guys REALLY are S.O.B's !!! image