Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Kirin Province coin help please.

I picked this up a while back in a junk silver lot I purchased. I was looking through 2005 Krause and found a very close match for it.

It resembles the fifty cents Y#182.3 on page 378 in the Krause catalog, but there is a difference on the obverse. The one in Krause has 2 characters at about 3 o'clock and six o'clock, where as mine has two stars or flowers or something.

If anyone can give me any info on this it will be greatly appreciated.

GR
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin! Historygeek or one of our other experts will probably be able to help. But I'm ignorant on this, where's Kirin Province? Neat script left and right of the dragon image
  • Options
    Kirin Province in China.
    imageimage
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yep, got it image

So that means the script must be Manchu (I think?)? Cool!
  • Options
    That's a cool link spoon!

I'm wondering if mine is a differant date than the one I found in the catalog or if I'm even looking in the right edition of Krause.
    imageimage
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    My 2nd edition of the 19th century Krause has a picture of this very coin on page 227 but there is no Y# that matches it! Check out Y 182 and 182.1.

This coin is not dated. The two characters that you mention as missing, Goldrush, comprise the date. If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, I would say this piece was minted in the late 1890's. Milled coinage was first introduced in 1890 in Guangzhou. Other mints were added later. Most of the pieces that are actually dated are from the early 1900's. Hence my guess of late 1890's.
  • Options
    Spoon,

The curly writing on either side of the dragon is Manchu. I do not read Manchu well but, reading top to bottom, right to left, I think it says, "daiching gurun" which means the "The Great Qing State." "Daiching" is the Manchu rendering of the Chinese "da qing" (the Great Qing) and "gurun" is the Manchu word for "state" or "country." "Qing" is the name of the Manchu dynasty that ruled an empire which included China, among other areas, from 1626 to 1911. Usually you see the beginning date as 1644, the year of the Manchu conquest of northern China and the fall of Beijing but the name "Qing" was adopted by the growing Manchu state in 1626 by the emperor Hong Taiji.
  • Options
    Thank you Sumnom! I don't have that edition of Krause, but need to get off my butt and go get it.
    If you don't mind, could you tell me the value it was listed at?

GR
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My 2nd edition of the 19th century Krause has a picture of this very coin on page 227 but there is no Y# that matches it! Check out Y 182 and 182.1.

This coin is not dated. The two characters that you mention as missing, Goldrush, comprise the date. If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, I would say this piece was minted in the late 1890's. Milled coinage was first introduced in 1890 in Guangzhou. Other mints were added later. Most of the pieces that are actually dated are from the early 1900's. Hence my guess of late 1890's. >>

In the 3rd Ed. it's been moved to page 231. It seems to be Y#182.1, which is described as having a rosette at each side of the obverse and crosses on each side of the weight legend - 3 candarins 6 - on the reverse. #182 lacks the crosses, #182.2 lacks both the crosses and the rosettes, and #182.3 is dated. According to Krause struck coinage commenced in 1895 in Kirin, dating began in 1899, so Sumnom's estimated late 1890's is right on (as usual).

The 3rd Ed. is copyright 2001 and the 4th is due very soon. For what it's worth, the 3rd Ed. catalog values are $15 F, $25 VF, $50 XF and $150 Unc.
    Roy

• Options
    Some of those are very cool coins but a real bugger to match up in the book.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Satootoko, thanks for the info on the 3rd edition entry. In the 2nd edition entry, 182.1 is listed as having the legend "CANDARENS" instead of "CANDARINS." I suspect your edition is correct.

• Options
    And Goldrush, if you picked this coin up in a junk bin, you did quite well, as the figures Satootoko provided show.
  • Options

<< <i>And Goldrush, if you picked this coin up in a junk bin, you did quite well, as the figures Satootoko provided show. >>

I paid $50 for 22 oz of mixed silver. It contained several nice coins like this one, along with a few uncirculated coins of the world.

BTW thanks Satootoko!!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>In the 2nd edition entry, 182.1 is listed as having the legend "CANDARENS" instead of "CANDARINS." I suspect your edition is correct. >>

Actually, I've notified Krause of another goof.image The text still refers to "CANDARENS", but the picture clearly shows "CANDARINS".image
    Roy

• Options
    Ah, so the error is your edition too? Tsk tsk, Krause!