Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 topps error goes for $1000!

gotta be kidding me

can someone please explain whats the deal with this card?

the card is raw, is it really that rare?
"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Options
    wow!.. as for rarity, i dunno.. i've never heard of the variation..
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    First of all, that's Keith Olberman who won that auction, so throw the price out the window. He pays outrageous prices for what he wants (and I suspect there is a strong current of underbidders that trail his activities).

As far as the error, Stanley's name should be in black, but on this version it is in yellow. It must be pretty rare.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    $1,044.00 for a 1980 Fred Stanley card.

Now I've seen it all image
  • Options
    Didn't know about this error. Excuse me I have about 25000 cards to go search.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    See what happens when everybody's got herd mentality in rushing to get their Mantles', Clementes', and Mays' cards purchased and graded?

In your haste you pass right by 1980 off-centered Fred Stanley yellow-letter error cards.

Shame on you!!!!!

BOTR
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't know about this error. Excuse me I have about 25000 cards to go search. >>

Damn, my yellow marker is out of ink.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a listed variation. 2004 Standard Catalog lists it for $3.00 in NM. Must go for more if its offcenter.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    This is a rare varuation. I have been collecting since 1980 and have heard of this variation in about 1985. This is the first I have ever seen one in my 24 years of collecting.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Yellow name 1980 John Wathan is harder to find than a yellow name Fred Stanley, but apparently, not as valuable.

According to the seller, he found three Fred Stanley cards in nine vending boxes. If this is the norm, these yellow name variation cards are not impossible to find.

Does anyone know whether there is a yellow name Rickey Henderson?

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone know whether there is a yellow name Rickey Henderson? >>

argh! if there is, i want it..
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if there is but I have a Ricky Henderson rookie that is missing the yellow ink. I have it locked away but if I remember correctly, the yellow flag in the upper left is white, the green outfield word is blue, the A's logo is white, and the flag in the lower right containing the A's is blue. If I can find it tomorrow night, I will post a scan of it.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    the wathan and stanley are on the same E sheet and it's a printing error missing the red ink, Stanley is documented, wathan obviously exists...so that'll lead to others possibly existing... anyone have that uncut sheet look for the RED name possiblities and you'll know who might have a yellow... Rickey is not on that sheet.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Man, that's an ugly card and I wonder what was the seller's reaction when he saw that final $ amount. I wonder if he'll still charge
    the $1 shipping. Umm, that's as good as a top loader in a regular letter envelope for .49 and pocket that extra .51 . image
  • Options

<< <i>the wathan and stanley are on the same E sheet and it's a printing error missing the red ink, Stanley is documented, wathan obviously exists...so that'll lead to others possibly existing... >>

and keith olberman obviously wants them all..