Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA vs BGS on modern issue Jeter SP.....

After seeing a high end PSA 9 1993 SP Jeter have some pretty high bidding (wonder if it was shilled) I decided to list my BGS 9 1993 SP Jeter. The PSA 9 Jeter sold for $609US which is very high for a PSA 9 (they average half of that).

Well here's the thing with BGS....they got this thing on the back called subgrades which I love as well as other collectors. My Jeter had subgrades of 10 centering 9.5 edges 9.5 corners 8.5 surface (.5 away from a BGS 9.5) Long story short.....my Jeter sold for $1080US. That's a huge difference and for a modern collector you have to take notice.

Well if anyone is interested here are pics of the cards and links to the auctions....

PSA 9 Jeter (sold for $609)

Jeter BGS 9 subs (10/9.5/9.5/8.5)

Subgrades really made a difference....
CB4

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    when was the Jeter graded?

JS
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    How did they decide that it has 10 centering when his foot nearly touches the bottom edge of the card? That may be normal for the card, but my point is: How can "perfect" centering be determined on a card with no borders, no points of reference for judging whether it's centered or a little off?
  • Options
    The Jeter was graded in 2001.....they were very strict then. The centering is perfect...you basically look at Jeter's foot, the right rookie icon, the top upper deck logo and the left color boarder. You work with the spacing on it. I've gone through a ton of these Jeter SP's....just the Arod SP RC....trust me it's a 10 centering....
    CB4
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    wow, Im thinking maybe you should of resubmitted. You are right BGS was brutal back in 2001, Im not
    sure you mentioned that in the auction or if that is given in the pop report but that really makes a world
    of difference now, you can almost add a half grade to anything that is resubmitted now a days, as beckett
    has given up their ethics and have softened their grading in order to get more (and keep) more customers.

However you can't argue with that much money. I think this will always be the norm in modern cards. Are you going
    to watch and see if the buyer resubmits and puts in on ebay?

JS
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Wow, that screams "crack & resubmit". I had a pair of guys at Tri-Star last May look over most of my stuff that was borderline. ie .5 away from 9.5 etc. They bought all of it and anything that was off by 1 grade on edges or corners they snatched up too... I can't imagine why. image

Great price on that Jeter though, I think 1080 is an awfully high number for that card, as is 600 in a psa holder...but then, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I say congrats and invest in some other good stuff now!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Heh - I had a snipe set up for your card (for a whopping $350). I was hoping the rest of the world would fall asleep. image

Could you find anything wrong with the surface?
  • Options
    Honestly the surface should pull a 9. It looks clean enough. I put the card right beside a PSA 10 and it put it to shame! The PSA 10 had chipping all along the back colored edge. This card will probably end up in a 9.5 case. Buyer is from Texas so you know it's going to be submitted as many times as it takes to get the 9.5.
    CB4
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Good job VC.
    There are people who feast on high subgrades like that for potential resubmit.
    My friend does it all the time. He doesn't break/crack it open because that's just too chancy.
    He'll send it back for reconsideration and present his case (usually with another card for reference).
    For some reason, it's always the surface grade that keeps it borderline.
  • Options
    For some reason, it's always the surface grade that keeps it borderline.

I've seen a lot of surface grades from that era that made no sense to me. I'm talking about modern cards that had no print dots, no scratches, no problems in toning that I could see, etc., but they had that annoying 8.5 subgrade. It always bugged me that I couldn't figure it out, so I stayed away from them.

Most everyone agrees they were more strict back then, but were they more accurate? I used to think they were skunking some cards here and there just to keep their gem mint+ grades elusive and to build a strong reputation. Obviously, they're not doing that (as much) anymore.

• Options
    Ah, the Jeter resurfaces - for the second time. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vince
    I can't see the photo on your card? Is it gone? Can someone just post it.
    Thanx
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

He screwed himself up royally on this though. Look at the questions/answers posted in the auction, that can't be good for business...

Even if it did sell, he has resigned himself to take a $150 loss. Why wouldn't he just submit it over and over for the $150 he is set to lose and try for the BGS 9.5?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Jeter was graded in 2001.....they were very strict then. The centering is perfect...you basically look at Jeter's foot, the right rookie icon, the top upper deck logo and the left color boarder. You work with the spacing on it. I've gone through a ton of these Jeter SP's....just the Arod SP RC....trust me it's a 10 centering.... >>

Vince:

Can you authoratatively explain on the Jeter SP what would precisely differentiate centering between a 9, a 9.5, and a 10? I would be very curious to learn.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Wait, I'm confused. This urbargain guy buys a BGS 9 Jeter for $1080. Then he auctions it and with no reserve and low minimum it gets bid up to $355. Then he renegs on selling it and relists it, baldly saying "THE OTHER BUYER AND I HAVE NOT MADE A DEAL." Actually, they have made a deal. He just chooses not to live up to it, and there is no penalty.

This reminds me of the time recently where a guy won an auction from me and decided not to pay. His thinking was that ebay gives you three strikes, and I've got no real leverage on him, so why not reneg? Chump.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    somebody should kick this guys ass
    ·p_A·