Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rarest years for OPC Baseball

Do any of you know what the scarcest years for OPC baseball are?
Where do 1974 and 1980 fit in?
Thanks,
G

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where do 1974 and 1980 fit in? >>

yd
    There are some OPC collectors here of which I'm a very minor collector. The Krause pub stuff doesn't mention anything about print runs - i.e. the Standard Catalog of BB Cards 2004.
    However, I do have a Sports Americana Price Guide to Collectibles #2 which makes general reference to each year that the print runs are less than the american counterpart.
    For 1974, there is no special reference to scarcity other than the normal statement that print run is less than the american issue but for the 1980 set: "the cards in this set were supposedly produced in lower quantities than other OPC sets of this era."
    I have been told that the 1976 issue is scarcer than the 1977 set e.g. But, I have no reference to that in writing.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    1974 and 1980 are supposed to be the toughest.
    1974 would probably get the edge over 1980 IMO.

With the recent OPC baseball release from OPC
    London Ontario via Mastronet, now is a good time
    to pick up some of these tough cards.

Some more of these opc cards from OPC London Ontario
    went to another Ontario dealer. I've yet to see him
    release any on ebay though.
  • Options

<< <i>1974 would probably get the edge over 1980 IMO. >>

zsz
    Have you got a source for this or just what others have said - I would like to know if anyone has a reference or article that I can keep on this for the future. I collect certain players and the OPC in high grade are tough to come by. I actually nabbed this one at the Coach's Corner - it went cheap because it was buried in with tons of autographed stuff and easy to miss in the line entries - of course that was my luck (which doesn't happen enuff):

Thanx for the info image
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    1980 is the only verified strike year at OPC.

OPC BB Scarcity rank, not a science, but others might concur:

1965 high numbers, 1967, 1971 high numbers, 1974
    1965, 1966, 1969, 1970, 1981 grey back
    1968, 1971, 1976, 1980
    1973, 1975
    1972, 1977, 1978, 1979
    1981-1994(1993 & 1994 non premier slightly tougher)

Lots of unopened OPC in the last year, but no '65 and very little '74.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options

<< <i>1980 is the only verified strike year at OPC. >>

Thanx 67s, I was waiting for you to give your experience/expertise. As I said in my post, it is the only year where there is a true reference to the print run being way less than other years. It's nice to talk about something a little different!
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    That Winfield card is awesome. Nice pickup.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the insight.
    I have been picking up nice... minty opc's whenever I can...
    It makes the chase a little more exciting since there seem to be fewer issues available.
    Thanks,
    G
  • Options

<< <i>That Winfield card is awesome. Nice pickup. >>

Thanks. The second bidder is my OPC nemeses (but we're friends) and he’ll usually cause me to pay much more. Without him, I’d save about 50%.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin