Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HELP PLEASE! Dial uppers beware! I am selling these Mickey Mantles and other cards for a friend an

Hi guys! Could someone tell me if my friend priced his collectiion correctly? He priced them about 6 months ago. I am NOT a baseball card collector..I am a coin collector. He asked me to sell these on ebay for him though and I wanted to make sure the prices were iin the ballpark so to speak. Here they are!!!!

Also, can you tell me any pitfalls or things to look out for? THANKS GUYS!!!

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, one pitfall is that they seem to have been priced without regard to condition. Most of them are in pretty bad shape. There certainly is a market for those kind of cards, but such collectors won't pay those prices. Your friend will have to drop his prices quite a bit if he's serious about selling. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I agree, most of the prices are accurate for Near mint cards, but from the looks they are nearly all vg or worse may be some excellent conditions in there. Jusdging by condition, I would guess the total lot has a selling value of only 15 to 20% of the marked prices.
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    I agree with jrdolan , your friend has overpriced these cards way too much for being ungraded raw cards ! Centering , sharpness of corners , gloss on cards , edges without nicks , wax stains all are important in determining the value of a card ! Buy a price guide ( SMR , Becket , Tuff Stuff etc. ) and read up about how to accurately grade a card ! Most of the cards you've scanned are in poor condition , but like jr said , there's a demand for star cards in any condition if you price them correctly ! Good Luck ! ...........Robby
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Whats a dial upper?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    dial upper was meant as a warning for people who aren't on high-speed/dsl or similar. can you imaging how long this page would take to load if someone was using a dialup connection? that is what he's referring to. i agree with the others that the condition of the cards were not taken into consideration when priced and 15-20% of prices marked is what you're looking at...imo

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, the halcyon, pre-Ebay days when collectors raced through a Beckett guide with calculator in hand.

Your friend is lost in a time long gone. His cards are very low end and staements of %5-%20 of his marked prices seem reasonable.

Many will not sell at all.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Dial-uppers aren't the only ones who should beware of opening this thread. I have cable and the huge flood of pictures chokes my connection. I wouldn't mind so much if some of them were a few high-end cards to look at.
  • Options
    Your friend needs to learn how to make a JPG file correctly. There's no need for each of these pictures to be 1+ MB in size. Lay off the resolution. I'm downloading these over a business T1, and it's still taking several minutes to download... as I write this message, they're still loading!
  • Options
    They were very over priced considering the condition.

It only took about 20 seconds to load with my T3 line image

Brian
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Holy freakin' cow. That took forever to load on DSL. They are right. Your cards are low-end "collector's grade cards. You should accurately describe them and please, scan them individually. The opening bids should be 99 cents and let the market determine the price. Those 1961 commons might not even get that.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Good that the prices were not directly written on the card like some idiot once did on vintage cards and then got angry at all the dealers at the show who stated that his cards are worthless due to the writing
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Ahhh, the halcyon, pre-Ebay days when collectors raced through a Beckett guide with calculator in hand. Your friend is lost in a time long gone. >>

Sometimes I long for those days, and then I think back to how many ex-mint cards I bought and sold as being NM. Basically if it looked good, it was NM. This is proven because most of the cards I called NM back then were graded PSA 6 when I rejoined the hobby last winter. Mint or more often NM+ was reserved for modern cards right out of the pack. Calling a vintage card NM-MT or Mint never occurred to us (at least the sellers in the show circuit I was part of in the mid '80s).

So I have some nice feelings about those days. But holy jumpin' ... in this lot there are commons with VG corners and a big ol' crease down the middle, marked $50. I recall having to break the bad news to collectors like this even 20 years ago, and their expressions of disbelief. Some things don't change, despite the huge changes in our hobby.

Tell your friend to enjoy his cards or pass them on. They're worth more in sentimental value than in the dollars he can get out of them.
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help guys and sorry about his scans...!

yeah, as a coin collector i see this all the time on the other boards: someone has soething that their friend thinks is great and low and behold..it's crap!!

I'll post an update and let you know what I what happens.

thanks again!!