Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

big scam??????? or not.

link

I believe this is the same auction that was running on ebay a little while ago. Same m.o. ( wife in law school, getting married, fathers cards and on and on.) It is a shame that he has bids on this. But what can you/we do ?
Even the city of location is the same ( Newark ). image

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it appears to be the usual scammer trick with these large lots. All the low value cards being genuine to suck the bidders into thinking everything is genuine, but then the high value cards are actually fake.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Yeah, if you look at the photos you see a bunch of very valuable vintage cards, apparently high-grade, mixed in with some low-grade OC stuff you'd find in a bargain bin. Guess which category is a bunch of reprints.

Looks like somebody took action. I bet that bid willl be canceled in a hurry.

• Options
    How do you know that someone took action? I don't see anything to that effect.

scott
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Why is it always law school? Why isn't it ever med school or business school? What about "my husband is in prison..." - at least that would be more believable.

Seriously, though, don't let it get to you. IF this guy (or anyone else) is scamming people on ebay on thousand dollar auctions, eventually he'll scam the wrong person and end up in jail or below ground. Personally, if I got suckered out of that kind of cash, I'd have no problem paying someone another grand or so to track the seller down.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    aloof -

Check the auction's bid history. You'll see a cancelled bid at the bottom.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I love this little blurb near the bottom of the listing:

A few people e-mailed me stated I would get more money if I got these cards graded by some company called PSA. I researched this, look at this horror story. No thanks. Also, as I stated most of these cards have been in my dad's possession since his childhood.

The line "some company called PSA" is priceless. He has cards of some player named ... Mantle?
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>How do you know that someone took action? I don't see anything to that effect. >>

aloof -- At the time I posted, someone with an ID of "this-auction-is-a-scam" or something similar placed a bid. As expected, the seller canceled it.

bobbscards -- Maybe he also doesn't understand what is meant by something called "Reprint" on the backs of the high-grade cards. Somehow I don't think his Dad had those in his childhood.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< On Oct-02-04 at 15:25:52 PDT, seller added the following information:

Note:

It has come to my attention that someone is bidding on my auction and contacting my bidders.He or She is upset with my auction. I do not understand why. If you do not feel comfortable or can not afford my auction do not bid. I will cancel all bid that I feel are fake. I realize that there are alot of interesting people on this website. I hate using the words strange or wierdos, but you get my point. I have quite a few unhappy people who have made me offers off of e-bay and I told them NO. I am abiding by all of e-bay policies, the high bidder wins period. From this point, any bids I feel are a hoax will be cancelled. REMEMBER ONE THING THERE ARE 96 PICTURES!!!! I took these pictures in my house.. Hello, if I did not have all these cards and autographs how would I get the pictures?? All the picture were taking on my computer desk and my floor. I can scan some of them with a current paper or something, if you would like. I really think it is someone who wants to scare off my bidders to try to get me to sell the lot to them CHEAP!!! That will not happen, I will donate them. >>>

The above was pasted from the auction. This is proving that all of the reprints really are in his possession. That he didn't scan the reprints off of some other site. These are 100% genuine reprints and the winning bidder will actually receive these great looking reprints. An "honest" scammer - LOL
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>An "honest" scammer - LOL >>

Steve
    Thanx for the post - honest to a fault? He always tell the truth! Even when he is lying! image

Stone
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i> IF this guy (or anyone else) is scamming people on ebay on thousand dollar auctions, eventually he'll scam the wrong person and end up in jail or below ground. >>

very true..