Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I miss hockey

This sucks! No hockey; and I heard rumors that a majority of card companies aren't going to put out any new product because of it.
Also, Pacific has gone out of business??

Comments

• Options
    that makes one of us, i for one am glad to have sportscenter with more time for football and soon to be basketball. (i think i might be the least dedicated rangers fan in the history of the world)
    LOS ANGELES LAKERS BASKETBALL
    OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL
    LOS ANGELES DODGERS BASEBALL
    NEW YORK RANGERS HOCKEY
    DETRIOT LIONS FOOTBALL
    OKLAHOMA SOONERS BASKETBALL
  • Options
    Sucks for hockey. I lost interest in basketball when they decided not to play. So hopefully for them they will come to a good deal. Because I wont care when they come back.
  • Options
    AHL season opens Oct 15th. Go Admirals (Norfolk). The Hell with the NHL, the damn tickets are too expensive anyway.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I miss it much less than I thought I would, though that will likely change once the World Series is over. But my disgust for both the league and the players' union is so high right now that I wouldn't be totally traumatized if this season is lost.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    As much as I enjoy hockey, I think what the NHL is trying to do is very important. I wish MLB would do the same. Bottom line, there is a dire need for a salary cap of some sort in every sport, and hockey is no exception. Football has it and it works great. Basketball has it and it basically prevents one team from being the equivalent to the Yankees for more than a couple seasons. Baseball needs it because there are far more teams, a much longer season and a lot more ticket revenue at stake, so the inequalities need a better balance. Revenue sharing is fine and dandy for the owners of the teams, but it will not change the fact that the fans of a team in the small market are seeing a crappy group that will consistently lose 80-100 games because they can't afford the top talent. Toss in a salary cap, and those concerns are long gone. The top talent will be forced to go to teams that have cap room, as we saw this offseason in the NBA.

I know the players get all upset when there are talks about a salary cap, but honestly, if these guys weren't playing professional sports, they would have normal jobs like the rest of the population, making around $30-100K/year. So, when a salary cap may cut someone's pay from $3.8M/year down to $3.1, I think they'll manage. And their agent will too. Agents are the ones who initially drove up salaries to the outrageous levels they are at now. So, I say screw the players on this one, they need to shut up and accept a cap agreement. I don't know how the Players Union can take such a stance either, an average hockey career is not very long and to miss an entire season, especially for players 30+ years old, is time that they will never get back.
  • Options

<< <i>Agents are the ones who initially drove up salaries to the outrageous levels they are at now. >>

Don't contract's have to be agreed upon by both parties, owners and players?