Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

question for the regulars.

that last thread is dead thank god.

As i said i am thinking of starting a grading service, while i want high quality graders which i have already lined up which i think is the most important in having a reputable grading service. But i am looking to cut costs in others areas atleast at the start of it, asi just want to test the waters as i said orignally to go full bore i was thinking 100k to get something off the ground.

obviously one of the big expensives is having nice slabs that can secure a card for a lifetime, and having some type of tamper proof protection.I have seen some 2nd tier grading services using just screw down holder with their label at the top which seems to defeat the purpose of grading. What do u think of a plastic tamper proof mini slab or something similar as a form of holding the card instead of the full bore slab of psa etc.. which cost in the neighborhood of 15 to 20k for your own design and enough stock to get you started.

would this be seen acceptable?obviously not as good as your own design but seriously lowers the cost and is tamper proof so you know, know one messes with the card after you grade it. Also would stone or any of the others be willing to send in cheap cards to our grading service, so you can atleast check out our graders and the turnaround time for free of charge of course, and since their cheap cards, you wouldnt be risking anything either because i would like to get your feedback on it since most of you having had deals with all major grading services.

let me know

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    For the serious collector who desires both grading and preservation of high quality/value cards...encapsulation is what they want to protect the "investment" and resale value. You may find a niche for bottom dwellers with this approach. IMO. Regards.

Please go away.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have two chances of succeeding - none and none. Oh excuse me, that was only one chance. Save your money and time, and forget about it.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Your business plan is the same as what PSA is already doing, so I'd say your chances of getting the point of taking much business from them won't happen.

HOWEVER, you obviously have a desire to put out a good product. I would suggest that you take a hard look at ONE thing that you feel PSA isn't doing 100% correctly and find a way to do just that one thing better. Do it so much better that they'll want either the trademark or patent, and pay for it.

Either that or demonstrate to them that you have the right insight and skills to lead a grading company and they just might offer you a job.

This is clearly a case of: If you can't beat them, join them.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
  • Options
    well i have some ideas, for people that find this boring, no reason on the post thread,anybody that feels like offering some advice that would be great.

my goal wouldnt be to take any psa customers as I find that very, very nearly impossible to do,my goal would be to find someway to enter the market at a signifcant discount while still providing high quality grades and services and finding a way to make a small profit.

i am willing to bet pgs makes a profit, there website is no frills, probably took less than 500 to make if that, simple order form, very little advertising etc...

any other thoughts
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>asi just want to test the waters as i said orignally to go full bore i was thinking 100k to get something off the ground. >>

Your enterprise is already going full bore, if you get my drift.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    The other thread you posted is already dying.
    Why try to continue the discussion?
    (oops, I put a ? mark.....don't respond) image
  • Options

<< <i>let me know

any ideas? >>

Yes..first you must have integrity, credibility and ethics. ALL of which you are sadly lacking. image Spend a few years working on those then come back to the board with you "business" plan.

Meanwhile, the horse is dead, put away the clubs.

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Before you go into business, you need to capitalize.