Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Talked to my parents today.........

and they have some coins stashed in their safe deposit box. I was under the impression that my brother had taken and spent all of my mother's silver dollars back in the 70's but she said after she had realized that about 45 or 50 were gone, she took the rest and put them in the bank! Also my father says he has some gold coins as well but he is not sure what kind. I never knew they had stashed anything and they never knew i was into coins so the subject never came up in the last 30 or so years. They are going to see when they can get to the bank and let me take a look at what they have. The silver dollars are all circulated since my mother got them as tips when she was a waitress in the early to mid sixties. I'm excited!

Comments

• Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Details and pics ASAP image

imageimage

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Sounds like fun. Keep us posted.image
  • Options
    Rosamond Rat strikes again !
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mom's hoard wasn't nearly as exciting. One 1921 Morgan in VF, one late 40's Mercury dime, three wheat cents, and one late 70's Roosey. (I'm not sure why the Roosey was in there, and she wasn't either.) image

Always exciting to check out a friend or relatives stash! Hope she has a key date or two!

Tom
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A forgotten family hoard is the dream of many a collector, congratulations! looking forward to hearing more.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen several family hoards and they were all pretty dull. Lotsa junk silver. Some holed 19th century type coins. Repros of fractional gold. Lincoln cents from the early 80s when copper bullion almost reached face value. It is very unusual that someone has something really valuable and doesn't know about it.
  • Options
    I have seen several family hoards and they were all pretty dull. Lotsa junk silver. Some holed 19th century type coins. Repros of fractional gold. Lincoln cents from the early 80s when copper bullion almost reached face value. It is very unusual that someone has something really valuable and doesn't know about it.

You're probably right. I'll call my folks and tell them to chuck the whole mess into the offering plate at church on Sunday. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Rat,
    have em send it to me COD,no problem !
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    DesertRat, I think that's great and I would be excited too. Looking forward to updates and pictures. image
    Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file