Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check it out-The BLATANT misuse of PCGS' Price Guide by a volume seller of raw coins!

Check this out and tell me what gives this volume seller of raw coins the right to quote PCGS' Price Guide in his subtitles?

What do raw coins have to do with PCGS prices? Isn't this unauthorized use of copyrighted material? Wouldn't it be

more appropriate to quote Current Trends which is published for all to see?

Click here! ttt

Comments

• Options
    I've seen his listings before. With all the hype in his descriptions, and a feedback rating of only 24, I have already decided not to bid on any of his items. And the PCGS price guide is not password protected, so is considered open to the public.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen his listings before. With all the hype in his descriptions, and a feedback rating of only 24, I have already decided not to bid on any of his items. And the PCGS price guide is not password protected, so is considered open to the public. >>

Open to the public, but copyright protected.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    They,re everywhere. Here's another one!

Another one!

It just all of a sudden clicked that so many people quote the PCGS Price Guide which is meant for PCGS' items, not raw coins, not NTC...NO ONE but PCGS! Should this be allowed to continue? Isn't the PCGS Price Guide property of PCGS? I fail to see how it is relevant to anything BUT PCGS certified coins!imageimage
  • Options
    You mean to say, sliderider, that with ALL his listings that he is running and HAS run that ONLY 24 people have left feedback? I hadn't noticed that! If so something REALLY stinks as it would imply that he has many repeat buyers.

Have you ever noticed the prices he brings in? Last week he sold a raw 1932 Washington Quarter for well over $300...more like $350 if memory serves me right? The thing that irks me about jonsson123 is the fact that he uses the PCGS Name and pricing guide in EVERY item's subtitle!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Has not it been proven on this forum recently that ebay sellers might have a good reason for their selling tactics? Should the person be contacted to defend themselves from bashing? I am partly serious and partly goofing around. mike image
  • Options
    Let's try this one more time and see what opinions we come up with. Under every item's title he refers to the PCGS Price List. What do raw coins have to do with PCGS certified coin prices?
    Opinions please, right or wrong for sellers like this to refer to PCGS prices!? ttt
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Boom, what the seller's doing is probably against current Ebay policy - report it to Ebay and cross your fingers.
  • Options
    Thanks for the assist with the link Russ. It comes across better the way you present it...clearly shows how it is in every item's subtitle.image
  • Options
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.

To begin, eBay does not allow sellers to use images or text from other
    members' listings or websites without the owner's permission. If you
    would like to review our guidelines concerning this issue, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-text-and-images.html

That said, we want to help you, but in order to do so we need the
    following information:

1. The item number of the listing that you are reporting 3931324969.
    2. The item number of a listing that you posted on eBay demonstrating
    the seller copied your image(s) or description(s), or the direct URL to
    the webpage containing the material in question.

If your original email to us did not include the above information,
    please send us the requested information by replying to this message.

If you haven't already contacted the seller that you're reporting, we
    encourage you to do so before responding to this email. We have found
    that many people are unaware that using images or text that they have
    found on eBay or other sites on the Internet is against eBay policy.
    Many of them will change their listings when contacted by the owner of
    the material.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Winthrop
    eBay Community Watch
  • Options
    I just sent this to eBay.

The PCGS Price Guide is huge. I believe the item I mentioned was a
    Washington Quarter. He is not copying the price guide but in every case,
    every one of his listings' subtitles, he alludes to PCGS certified coin
    prices which have absoluely nothing to do with raw coins. It is also
    copyrighted material. Here is the URL to the Washington Quarter guide which
    is but a small piece of the entire spectrum of coin prices listed by PCGS,
    meant for PCGS certified products, not uncertified coins.
    http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=washington_quarter
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'm sure this guy has already been NARU'd on eBay with another PowerSeller ID.

He's got a ton of stuff listed now.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Something else smells to high Heaven. I've been following this guy for a while and just look at the bids! Last week he sold a raw 1932 Wash 25c for around the $325-$350 mark....but my point is this. If he's been doing all the selling that I've seen him supposedly making, why is his feedback rating only 25???imageimage
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is. I found the following two paragraphs within a link or two on the PCGS price guide page.

"Linking To the PCGS Price Guide
    The PCGS Price Guide provides up-to-date retail prices for all your coins. Now you can include a link directly from your auction to a specific Price Guide page, giving the buyer a current retail price for your coin. You can utilize the sample HTML code below at no charge. The code may be edited to your specifications, but the link should not be altered.

WHAT DO PCGS PRICES MEAN?
    The prices listed in the PCGS Price Guide are the average dealer asking prices for properly graded United States coins. The prices are compiled from various sources including dealer ads in trade papers, dealer fixed price lists, significant auctions, and activity at major coin shows. Prices for the most actively traded coins are updated daily. Other issues are updated as needed. All prices are reviewed at least once a month. "

So, it appears that, 1) It's OK to link to the price guide, 2) Makes no claim that you can't quote the price guide, and 3) Says it applies to all properly graded U.S. coins.

Also, in some series and/or grades, the PCGS guide actually lists LOWER prices than Trends does, so I don't see any advantage to changing the reference.

I guess you can still claim the coins aren't properly graded....But that's another issue.

Tom
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>Says it applies to all properly graded U.S. coins. >>

-Tommytype, welcome to the forums. You should know by now that only PCGS coins are properly graded.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Says it applies to all properly graded U.S. coins. >>

-Tommytype, welcome to the forums. You should know by now that only PCGS coins are properly graded.image >>

Oh, yeah. I always add a couple points to all of my ANACS and NGC coins. image
  • Options
    For what it's worth, his images are fairly clear and detailed, not what you usually see on sleaze-bay. He has low starting prices, gives his opinion on grade by quoting the range of PCGS prices that he feels qualifies the coin's grade, kind of a low shot (but maybe a bit overgraded), but he is letting the market put the price wherever it lands. And I have seen some names of big eBay dealers bidding on his stuff, not scammers, but sellers I have dealt with before that handle quality stuff, (graded of courseimage) His earliest auctions still used PCGS price guides, but his final price came in well under what he quoted as "his grade" via PCGS. But they seemed to come in at what the buyers "graded" the coins, and were willing to pay. Will be interesting to see how his feedback goes over the next few weeks. I have seen worse users of PCGS's guide.....namely a certain seller of PCI crapola......image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is.

...TommyType

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hi,
    welcome to the boards!

Best,
    Billy
  • Options

<< <i>and 3) Says it applies to all properly graded U.S. coins. >>

Not exactly. I had been researching this before this thread came up, and here are David Hall's words in this thread in the Q&A forum.

<< <i>Thanks for the heads up. This is pretty interesting wouldn't you say. I guess we need to just come flat out and say it's a price guide for PCGS coins. >>

Member SSOF

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fail to see a problem. It states what the PCGS price list shows. Is he listing the wrong values?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is.

...TommyType

Russ, NCNE >>

YES!! I Admit It!! I"m the seller in question!!!!!!!!!!

(Not). imageimage
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I fail to see how it is relevant to anything BUT PCGS certified coins!"

The PCGS guide is for all coins, properly graded, of course. Furthermore, it's an opinion, not the news.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    I don't know if anyone noticed, or if it matters, but the seller uses PGCS in the listing not PCGS?
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    Yeah, sometimes he writes PCGS, at other times, PGCS but he refers to CU and he's sure not talking about Colorado University!

Now, he's been a member since 3-17 but his first recorded feedback is 9-7, with a rating of 24???? Man, he did more than 24 LAST WEEK! I've been watching this eye catcher for way longer than a month.

He takes exceptional pictures and has such eye catching presentations, I suppose he's the exception to all sellers of raw coins.
    Man, if you can't smell the odor I suggest you have your sinuses scraped!image
  • Options
    This guy was the Ebay seller chadlings, who is now NARU. He hs been discussed here before. Same stuff.
    "Truth is a torch but a tremendous one. That is why we hurry past it, shielding our eyes, indeed, for fear of getting burned." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't really see anything wrong with his auction.
    Granted he goes over the top with the sales hype and salesmanship, thus making it somewhat sleazy.
    But what the heck it's salesmanship.
    Anyway, I doubt the quarter would grade higher than MS62 at PCGS maybe even AU58.image
  • Options

<< <i>The thing that irks me about jonsson123 is the fact that he uses the PCGS Name and pricing guide in EVERY item's subtitle! >>

I hate to sound mean, but so does a 100 other sellers on eBay!
    Sets Complete:
    Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
    Roosevelt Dime
    1900 - Current Type, No Gold
    Silver Eagle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file