Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How will this Toned Morgan look in hand???

Just picked this up on Ebay and it looks like the pictures may not do the coin justice. Even in the dull straight on shots of the coin, I get the sense that the colors look pretty nice, but what do you folks think:

Will it be dark and unattractive in Hand?

OR

Will the colors be more vibrant, and reflect off the luster that isn't present in the pictures???

1878 S Morgan ANACS MS-64

Comments

• Options
    I think you did a good job on the price. I think the reverse will be dark and the luster will come through. This isn`t the greatest example but, shows the the luster does come through on some of the darker ones too. It will be interesting to see the reverse as it does look nice.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    It will look better in hand.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    it looks like the pictures may not do the coin justice

This is also my impression. I think you'll be happy with the toning, guessing some blue, green, & pink. Solid pickup for the price.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I think that one is going to look much better than the images. It also appears to be very clean for the grade.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I like it!!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    I got the best image possible from what the initial washed out shots consisted of on the ebay auction. Here is what a little contrast change in photoshop can do for that washed out image. I know it isn't great but remember the old saying. Garbage in Garbage out. If you start with a bad photograph to begin with, you're gonna get a bad outcome. Anyways, this is roughly what it should look like. I did no color balancing so depending on the original photo's lighting, it may be a little different.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Thanks poorguy, I think that obverse is going to look pretty sweet. I will be sure to take some better shots from different angles when I receive the coin and post them image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I think the blue & purples on both sides will be more blue & purple and the center of the obv will be more brilliant white although it will be a slightly muted tone instead of a just minted blast white.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    You definitly did good, especialy for the price. The colors are sure to be way more vibrant in hand, and by the picts, ti should have some great luster. Great Buy!!

jim
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    not to bad for around 67.00 shipped, should be pretty kool looking,, should have hit around 100.00 at closing bidimage
    toner loner
  • Options
    Yes I thought it was a fair price for the coin without the toning as it books for $105.....................I thought it would go higher so I threw a $70 bid on it and walked away. I don't think this one is going to have any electric color to it, but I don't see any luster captured in the pictures and It would have to have some decent luster to be in an ANAC 64 holder image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. I think you got it for a great price. Hope it turns out as you hope. Keep us informed please!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file