Home U.S. Coin Forum

about to store in 2x2's any hints?

I've finally revceived the 2x2's I ordered to get my great uncles coins safely stored.

They've been sitting for the last 20 years in paper rolls in a box, and probably for another 20+ years before that. Some of the coins have black stuff in between letters, possibly what was finger oils and dirt. Any suggestion on possibly removing that without "cleaning" or dipping? or should I just leave it? I know it will come off rather easily and dont want the coins to tone then have it come off later leaving a clean spot.

also, should I dip all the silver in acetone first to be safe or just put them in the 2x2's since they've gone this long without becoming unsightly?

thank you, all help is appreciated

Comments

• also, what about preparing Gold, 1943 Zinc penny's and Copper penny's for 2x2's?
  • I'll start it off.

I've read about making sure the carboard pieces are off of the 2x2 before closing. I thought about a good way to do it. compressed air - heard some brands leave a residue. Slide your finger across to move the particles away - not good unless you're wearing a glove, but then the cardboard could stick to the glove then transfer to a coin. Blow the particles away with your breath - not good as most times some spit or miniscule moisture will make its way to the 2x2.

my solution. Brand new 1" paint brush! works wonderfully, clean and easy.
  • That's a lot of questions to answer there.
    Nowadays one simply doesn't clean coins anymore.
    Collectors want them natural.
    If a coin is PVC damaged, then cleaning is OK, but it'll remain "cleaned" forever afterwards.
    Valuable coins should be sent in for conservation to one of the services that do that.

I use a clean cotton cloth to wipe the carboard paper dust off the holder. Your paint brush is good too.
    Then carefully place the coin on/in the holder holding it by the rim only. Don't touch the surfaces.
    Try not to breathe on them.
    Fold it over and staple as needed, unless you have the self stick holders.
    I typically use a pair of pliers to flatten out the staples so they don't catch on things, like coin holder pages.

If you've accidentally touched a coin with your fingers, you can carefully rinse it with acetone if you want.
    Byt this sometimes results in little whitish milk spots that are tricky to remove. The acetone can evaporate so fast it leaves the residue your trying
    to remove on the coin.
  • thanks, I'm just putting them straight into the 2x2's. I figure if they can live in those paper roll's for 40+ years then whatever's on them is going to stay on them for the 2x2's.

• 1) Don't clean them

2) Don't use staples
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • If you have the 2x2's that need stapling don't staple so close to the windows or you could damage the coin from the stapler squeezing it. Apply the staples closer to the edges of the 2x2. Also, check to make sure all staples have folded correctly to avoid the possibility of a staple scratching a coin in a different holder.

• << <i>1) Don't clean them

2) Don't use staples >>

I'm not cleaning the coins.

Also, why not staples? how else am I going to keep them shut? I don't trust the self adhesive ones.

And I did a test run with some junkers to make sure the stapler didn't come close to the coins as you have to hit the stapler pretty hard to get it to penetrate and close the staples. I'm doing all 4 sides and using pliers to make sure nothing can catch on anything.

Thank's!!!

• I hate staples and use Mylar flips. Stapled 2x2's in a box can scratch it's neighbor coin sometimes.

Once you have scratched a coin, you tend to want to keep sharp metal objects away from them.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • I spent the extra $1 and bought better staples. It has been a great help in putting coins in 2X2s. I also use pliers to make sure the staples lie flat.

Almost all of what I have is low value. If there was something valuable to you and you wanted it to stay nice, I'd spend the money for better holders. I spent some money on a box of Harris holders, they snap together.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Don't use 2x2 cardboard flips. Put good coins in saflips. Anything not good enough for a saflip is junk box material that should be sold to buy something more worth your time.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Hi,
    don't store them in a wooden box! image

Best,
    Billy, of anti-wood-infamy
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you staple the 2 x 2s, use a pair of pliers and crimp the staples down. If you don't crimp the backs down, there is a good chance they will cut through the clear window and damage the coin behind it.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they said.

You can use staples, but make absolutely sure you crimp them flat with a pair of pliers. You should be able to run your fingers over the back of the staples without getting "snagged" at all.

Staple scratches from improperly-crimped (or NON-crimped) 2X2 holders are one of the nastiest things that can befall a coin.

I am astonished at how many folks do not bother to crimp the staples in their holders flat.

I've gotten several lots like that from folks here, who I shall not name... folks who should know better! Tsk, tsk... image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Hi again,
    I was thinking about it - I have not used a staple for this purpose since "Another Brick in the Wall Pt2" was #1 on the radio. They are SOOOOO dangerous. That might seem an idiotic over-stamement - but it will gain a certain ring of truth right after you scratch something one way or another as has been described - and it is bound to happen. Anything worth keeping does not deseve a staple, IMHO.

Best,
    Billy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file