Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Confusion about toning

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings,

I am a relative newby and have enjoyed reading the various threads related to AT vs NT and the flame
threads. It's been an eye opening educational process for me. Anyway here's my question for the forum.
I went to my box at the bank last week. Hadn't been there in probably 20 years. I had placed in a bag
about 25 mostly Morgans and a few Peace Dollars. They were all common dates and they were all in
pretty decent shape mostly around AU. The bag was an old bag made out of a synthetic material. When
I looked at the bag it was falling apart and it was discolored with a slightly blueish purple color to it.
Everyone of the AU coins was very heavily toned. Quite a few of the coins had a purple, blue color and
there were even a few rainbows. Some of the coins in my opinion were dark and to me ugly. Based on
pictures I have seen here the ugly coins some might find attractive. Where I am confused is what type
of toning is this? On one hand the coins were in a bag and sat in a vault for 20 odd years and this was
a completely natural process. I did not doctor the coin. On the other hand the bag the coins were in
was decomposing and some chemical reaction occured between the coins, the bag, and oxygen.
Comments appreciated.

Bruce

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file