Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who knows why coins are round.

most coins

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure why coins are round, but I know why manhole covers are round. image
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    1) It's easier to make the wrapers for them.
    2) When they are struck, a round planchet allows for the most efficieant distribution of force.

David
  • Options
  • Options
    It's very hard to get a soda with a square coin.....they don't roll too well!!!!

But in all honesty, I don't know....there has been all types of shapes tried thoughout the years.

BTW.....Carl, why are manhole covers round?
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    ...but I know why manhole covers are round.

When I was in the eighth grade, my science teacher asked me why manhole covers are round but never told me the answer. It has been a question that has plagued my existance since that time. Perhaps you could bring closer to this chapter in my life and give me a since of completion. Here are the answers I have reasoned out:

1) Because it is the only shape where the cover cant be turned side ways and allowed to drop through the hole. Eliminates pranksters from droping the "lid" down the hole.

2) Because it allows for even distribution of force when the cover shrinks or swells because of heat. Because the cover's coefficent of linear expantion is different from that of the concrete around it, it will push on the concrete as it heats up. If the cover were square, then it would appy the most pressure in the corners, and cause the asfault or concrete to bust up there. Because it is round it has even distribution of force and keeps the area around it from busting up.

3) Because manholes are round.

David
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I think man holes are round so the covers can't fall in.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Round coins reduce the chance of sharp edges cutting holes in your pockets image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Because the corner on square coins used to tear holes in the pockets of cavemen and they were always losing them.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Because the corner on square coins used to tear holes in the pockets of cavemen and they were always losing them. >>

You mean, they were losing.....THEM?imageimage
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    1`. So they do not makes holes on ones pockety or purse

2... So that they can be rolled and stored efficiently.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    They stack easier.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    so you can punch a hole in 'em, and use them as a washer.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    So that they could be rolled down the bar.

Louis
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    The same reason why most cookies are round.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    How would they fit in rolls if not round? Come on people, think!
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think it may have to do with making it harder to scrape metal from the edges. If the outside edge is smooth and circular, any cuts into it for metal are very easily seen. Of course, edge design helped with that, too.
  • Options
    Ha, Ha, Ha! "Why are manhole covers round?" was a job interview question asked of a few software engineers who applied for jobs at Microsoft many years ago (don't know if they still ask that one). And.... LincolnCentMan got very close to the answer. I guess he had thought about it for a while image

He guessed: "1) Because it is the only shape where the cover cant be turned side ways and allowed to drop through the hole. Eliminates pranksters from droping the "lid" down the hole."

Not only does it prevent pranksters from droping the lid down the hole it prevents the lid from going down the hole by accident or for any other reason. Normally there would be a worker down the hole if the lid was off so it could be very, very bad if the lid went down the hole!
  • Options
    Not to mention the high voltage wires which do not take kindly to heavy metal objects landing on them.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Why are coins round? So they don't fall down manholes.
  • Options

<< <i>1`. So they do not makes holes on ones pockety or purse

2... So that they can be rolled and stored efficiently. >>

Wait, I read somewhere once that coins weren't stored in rolls until what?? The 1850s or something like that?? They were round well before then so that reasoning doesn't hold up.

• Options
    Mrspud,
    The great Yogi also said, "It ain't over until it is over." So to further the hypothesis of your link: "Some people learn by hearing, some people learn by seeing, and well unfortunately some people just have to piss on the electric fence."

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    we actually studied this in a college course long ago. bottom line is: round is the cheapest shape to manufacture. it's also why, for example, soda cans & oatmeal canisters are round.

seriously!

K S
  • Options
    Why are coins round?

Ans: Vending machines, nothing else works as well as round coins.
    As a nation becomes more developed and acquires more vending machines or things that require coins to buy something, the coins all become round and
    accomodating for vending machines. Thus round coins slide and roll down the slots in a vending machine and also make it easier to detect fake coins.

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    When you squish a blob of bullion, it forms a generally round shape. From that point in ancient history onward, the round shape became a tradition. image
  • Options
    So they are easier to drop. So people like me can go dig them up years later!

PURPLE!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the manhole cover thing, in addition to not falling in the hole-they are a little easier to roll than they are to carry. I wouldn't want to try to roll a square or triangular manhole cover.
  • Options
    On the manhole cover thing, in addition to not falling in the hole-they are a little easier to roll than they are to carry. I wouldn't want to try to roll a square or triangular manhole cover.

Rolling manhole covers down a hill is pretty spectacular too, especially the stop at the bottom!
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

octagonal vs round .... could it be as controversial as NT/AT ... modern/classic ... toned/untoned

NOT
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised nobody has revealed on this forum the REAL answer for why coins are round. The code of silence...the fear of reprisal...the heavy boot of tyranny. Nobody here will talk.

But I'm not afraid. I will not be silenced! It's obviously a conspiracy led by one big name Third Party Grading Service. Heavy lobbying, political pressure, and back room payoffs to those sleazy government officials are to blame. Coins are round because PCGS holders are made for round objects!

Warn your friends! Tell your neighbors! The truth shall set you free!!

(Must cut this short. A black helicopter just landed on my front lawn. He has a loupe around his neck, and I don't think he's afraid to use it).

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Because the Greeks did it and everyone just follow their design. It could also be that pieces of metal were use for payment in the past and someone one day decided to hammer the pieces of metal that he has and they turn into circular shape.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    whether hammer-struck, hammered, screw-press struck or struck w/ modern machinery, the round shape is the most economic to manufacture.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file