Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

POLL: Online Shopping

I'm considering making a few website changes and I was curious about some general opinions on online shopping. At present, we only put up coins we have had a chance to photograph. I know other sites tend to put up inventory and wait for requests for photographs. I'm beginning to wonder if I should do the same considering time constraints. I might be better off only photographing stuff as I see fit as well as any requests.

As such I present you with this poll. Any responses would be appreciated.
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    My memory is so poor ,if I do not have a picture to look at, I figure that I have to use Krause and often just Pass.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images are necessary for me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Any time I spend more than $50.00 on a coin, I want to see a good image of both sides.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I prefer images, but I don't mind requesting an image. Heck, I'll even buy without an image if I can talk to the dealer and return it if I don't like the coin.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    I prefer images too but would be willing to request an image. One note if the seller could put the coin on hold until I get an image to make up my mind would be even better.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I prefer images also. It saves me time because I can decide if the coin atleast has the right look and then I can persue it or decide it is not for me. Requesting an image is okay as long as someone responds in a timely manner. Like Bill stated, I have requested images before and by the time they got back to me, they said that said the coin had already been sold.

Steve
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I have never purchased a coin I could not see first: in fact, I skip over coins without images frequently.

What you might want to do is have a "waiting for images" list of new arrivals, giving someone a chance to request an early image-but definitely image them all at some point.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>the coin had already been sold >>

In the past couple weeks, I have ordered off websites, paid for the coin with my credit card and have received the same notice. The coin was sold.
    In one instance, I ordered two coins, paid for both with a credit card. then received the dreaded, it's been sold notice. Then a couple days later I get an e-mail saying he found both coins and that they were mine if I wanted them. So I re-sent the money, only to have my card denied because the refund can take 7 days to clear on the card. So we waited. Three days later the refund cleared, I ordered the coins again, and am awaiting their arrival.
    Website maintainance is another important issue dealers should pay attention to.

If the coin is sold mark it as such.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    I need images but willing to wait a day or so to see them.
  • Options
    I do very little online shopping, but sure do prefer images, especially if the purchase is over a few dollars.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    I know other sites tend to put up inventory and wait for requests for photographs. I'm beginning to wonder if I should do the same considering time constraints. I might be better off only photographing stuff as I see fit as well as any requests.

That's what I voted for. It takes less time to download the whole thing, and if I'm interested in something, then, I'll click for the picture , or ask for it if it's not available.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    If I'm just crusing through a web site I like pictures - who knows, one might catch my eye and off on another tangent I go.

If I'm looking for specific types of coins I do not mind requesting that the picture to be posted - but the option of an email when the picture was posted on the web site would be a great help remind me to return to the coin.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>If the coin is sold mark it as such. >>

Promptly!!!

A lack of photos tends to depress impulse buys. I like to have a quick look at both sides and get questions answered rather than request photos and then get questions answered -- which just makes it more likely that the coin gets sold. On eBay, when I've had to request additional pics or ask questions, about a fifth of the time I get no response and another fifth I get too late to do me any good.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Photos are very nice but also very time consuming - There has to be a cut off on which coins get to have photos.

Under a certain $ value?
    Certified?
    Modern proofs?

Or perhaps the route is the make the picture taking easier!

copy stand in place
    lighting pre-arranged
    TV monitor attached to camera while taking photos
    batch processing of the images to crop/resize/produce thumbnails/rename/what ever other tweaking you do

A text description can be enough for many coins, but we have to know exactly what you're talking about. Try doing a good text description for those with photos as well as those without so viewers can judge your text descriptions.

Good luck!

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I almost never buy coins online without a photo.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I thnk you need a third choice "To see imaged coins with thumbnails and non-imaged material with the understanding that images will be available in the near future;" in other words, list what you have as soon as you have it and then follow-up with pics.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    That's actually what I kind of meant with the second option. I phrased it poorly. I implied in my post that the stuff would go up right away unimaged, and then images would go up for priority coins and requests. Ideally all coins would eventually get images, but it's nice to know ahead of time which should get images first.

Thanks for all the responses.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>I implied in my post that the stuff would go up right away unimaged, and then images would go up for priority coins and requests. >>

Isn't this pretty much what NEN does?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Josh -

Normally I prefer to see the images of coins right off. But knowing you - and the way you describe your offerings - it would not bother me one bit to go by a description for consideration. I would of course request a pic before making a final decision. And if this would allow you to place more inventory as available on your web site - then I would be all for it !!
    knowledge ........ share it