Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS and Gobrecht Dollars

In case you missed the article in Coin World written by J.D., PCGS has changed its approach to Gobrecht dollars:

An 1836 original [issue of 1836] will be die alignment I [coin turn, eagle flying onward and upward]

An 1836 original [issue of 1837] is now assigned its own coin number. It will be either die alignment II [medal turn, eagle flying onward and upward] or die alignment IV [medal turn, eagle flying level] and all angles in between. The theory is that the die was set and after striking quite a few coins rotated slightly. This coin is considered an original, not a restrike!

An 1836 restrike [issued between the late 1850's and early 1870's] will be in die alignment III [coin turn, eagle flying level] with prominent die rust and/or die cracks in the reverse legend.

PCGS is offering free regrading/attribution for all previously graded 1836 Gobrechts for 90 days.

Also, the 1839 Gobrechts are now different:

An 1839 original is in die aligment IV [medal turn, eagle flying level] with no die rust or cracks. A restrike is any coin with rust/cracks or any other aligment.

PCGS is offering free reattribution for all previously graded 1839 Gobrechts as well.

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, I cannot wait to send all of mine in image
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Bruce,

Thanks for the new way PCGS is now treating this series. Though not an enthusiast of the G Dollars, I still remember the mazes I had to go through to determine the variety I owned several years ago. And I wish I still owned it

Maybe you will sell me a duplicate.
    TahoeDale
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, but what we really want to know is, what did Daivid Hall's face look like when his full house lost to your four fives?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • TDN - Did you influence PCGS to make these Gobrecht changes?
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have brought it to their attention that originals were possibly being designated as restrikes on occasion. For instance, the last coin I needed to complete my Redbook Gobrecht set was in a restrike holder - although it is actually an original from the 1837 issue. However, I do believe they had already started the process of fixing the designations.

Much in depth research by excellent numismatists has occurred in the past decade and it's becoming more accepted what determines original vs restrike. J.D. did an excellent summary of what is now considered to be true.

The only thing I wonder about is the issue of 1837. If the mint actually intended die alignment II, and the die alignment IV coins are a rotated die error, then why did they intentionally set it at die alignment IV for the 1839 coins?
  • By far the most confusing type-set of all U.S. coins...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    GD are the only big coins that never really grabbed me, I guess its because of the varities. I'm not too much of a varitey guy. And I like Biz strikes much more over proofs.

But congrats to the GD collectors.....now your series is a little more "organized"

TDN, I do remember that PR65 restrike that you showed me at the ANA. Very nice. I do belive this is the one that you got reholdered as an original.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.