Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for fans of toning

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
You pay big premiums (sometimes) for monster toning. Knowing that toning is a progression of deposition of a thin film on the coin's surface, do you believe the colors won't change over time?
What do you do to prevent changing colors?

Comments

• Options
    once they are out of the bags the toning stops especially when in a slab.

Do a search on toning and look up a long response by GSAGUY. This will convince you.

also this coin below has not changed in 10-15 years

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

No expert here, but.....

I for whatever reason have come to the belief that toning will start across a coin's surface and will either 1) creep across the entire surface
    if left in the environment that started the toning, or 2) stop toning if the environment is changed. (like being put in a slab or Intercept product). I KNOW, I KNOW- Slabbing will not stop toning in all cases but I'm talking about an interruption in the environment that started it.

I've never seen colors change on a coin that was "finished" toning, but I've seen golden rims turn deep blue as the gold moved further
    across the surface during the toning process.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You pay big premiums (sometimes) for monster toning. Knowing that toning is a progression of deposition of a thin film on the coin's surface, do you believe the colors won't change over time?
    What do you do to prevent changing colors? >>

Toning is not the deposition of a thin film, rather it is a oxide growth as a result of a chemical reaction occuring at the surface of the coin.

since a oxide doesn't like to grow on its self, the rate of growth will slow and even stop, however, the intial rate of growth sometimes produces undesireable results....

a deposition is a film that is deposited to the topography of a surface resulting in a reaction usually consisting of heat and for this example say Nh3 and Nitride, this film will deposit evenly over the surface of coin, unlike a oxide which is grown rather then deposited and will mainly only grow on the surface area were a reaction is taking place. This is why album toners tend to have the most toning around the rims of a coin, it is here were the silver comes in the most contact with the sulphur of the album and the silver reacts to it.

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file