Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Recolored ?

Got a card returned from PSA as recolored.
Looked at it again thru all magnifications and all lighting angles.
Even looked at it from all angles in my blacklight room ( yes, believe it or not, I have one )

Saw nothing, so resumbitted, came back as recolored again.

For the life of me, cannot spot. Need help on how to detect ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I can't see it either. If you can corner a grader at a show - they can usually show you. PSA seems to be very good, in my opinion, at catching re-colored cards.

Have you looked at all the edges to make sure that none of the re-coloration has bled through...?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I thought I read someplace that PSA rejects 20-30% off all 1971 Topps baseball summitted for people using sharpies to touch up the corners! Is that true or was I dreaming?

Would that be considered "recolored"?

by the way, what card was returned?

Hope you get to the bottom of this!

Mark

• Options
    that absolutely is recoloring and is very common on 1971 baseball.
    Kosmo
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I have a few 1962 Topps football cards, from various sources, that have come back as recolored. I can see black ink on the edges of some of them if I turn them edgewise, but on some, like Wolfbear, I can't see any problem at all. I assumed that PSA saw problems with them under a black light, but maybe that's not the case. They're still in their CardSaver I's with the reject stickers on them, and I'm kind of wondering what to do with them. If I sold them, I would certainly disclose PSA's conclusion, but without knowing what PSA saw, I'm not convinced that they *are* recolored. I'd like to know what else to look for, too.

Mike
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

mikeschmidt nailed it.

It's a 1963 Topps football card, which has colored borders.
    Went around the edge under magnification with a strong light.
    Looks like a 1/32 of an inch long bleed thru of red recoloring thru one edge.

The bleed thru only goes down about 5 % of the height of the edge.
    We're talking about a teeny tiny itsy bitsy amount of cardboard here.
    When I go back to find it, I see it, then I don't, but I know it's there, and PSA caught it both times.

Renewed respect for the job PSA does,
    and renewed doubt about the grading companies that set up at card shows,
    eyeball a card for a minute or two, and then assign a guaranteed grade. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"