Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Using a coin in multiple Registry sets

Several Registry sets, especially some type sets often overlap. I was curious to see if many of you often use the same coin or coins more than once in sets? For a complete authentic set, should a coin only be used once?
Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    I have one of my Roosies and one of my Ikes registered in my 20th century type set so yes, you can use the same coin twice, just not in the same category.
  • Options
    I use the same coins in my 65,66,67sms mint sets and the 3 year verision ot the 65-67 sms mint sets but I dont usethe in other sets I have
    9/11/01 NEVER FORGET

12/14/03 Bremer Confirms U.S. Captured Saddam

Joe Holt

joe_holt@bellsouth.net
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "For a complete authentic set, should a coin only be used once?"

It has nothing to do with authenticity, and everthing to do with the Registry rules. Next you'll tell me that the 20th century ran from 1900-1999 (the Registry is set up that way).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    What's your problem pal? Tell us all what the Registry rules are in a civilized way!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Here we go again! Will it never end? Is the end of civilization as we know it so close? Can't we all just get along? What is Up, Around Here?
  • Options
    Why not, what's wrong with it?
    There are lots of overlapping sets, where one can use coins in this manner.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure - each set is a different combination of what you choose to 'register'
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    It all depends on whether the coins are AT or NT.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    You've got to have them in multiple sets ... why should one registry be denied having a great set because all my pop 1/0 are also in another set?

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a high grade 1964 Kennedy half, mint state and see how many different Registries it'll fit in. You'll be shocked!

peacockcoins

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>Get yourself a high grade 1964 Kennedy half, mint state and see how many different Registries it'll fit in. You'll be shocked! >>

There was a disucssion about this some time ago. Wasn't it determined the coin that could be included in the most sets was the MS '64 Kennedy? I seem to recall it could be included in 8 or 9 sets.

Dan
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its OK to use a coin more than once. I know that I do it..... I was a little surprise when I first found out that it could be done. I have become to understand that its very important to be able to do it, especially if you work on multiple sets that overlap. It would really restrict the sets and completion if you could not. It is so entrenched now, it would be a impossible to change anyway. I think some guys strategy is to form sets that will over lap. You can get more bang for the buck. I really do not think it nothing wrong with that either. Maybe there could be a system that would deduct a point each time coin is duplicated in a set. I am not saying that I am for the idea. I would lend more against it, but it would discourage some of the overlapping.
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Currin's comment on "bang for the buck" is very true. When I have a coin that fits in more than one registry set, I find it much easier to justify spending that extra money to go that one grade point higher image