Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Well I did it, a new 100% Lincoln registry set completed.

I finally got my last batch of raw pennies slabbed and now I have a complete collection too.
At least it is all 100% red. image
It wasn't exactly a spectacular glorious completion. The last nine pennies are unusually hard to locate, so I did it raw instead.
But what the heck, lots of room to upgrade. image
Earl's Memorial Lincoln Collection

Comments

• Congrats, Earl:

To me that is an incredible feat. I can't take on a job that big!!!
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Good job on the all red set. Now all you'll be pulling your hair out over is finding upgrades. image
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Earl

What kind of money do you think your set will bring in auction?

Stewart
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Nice Earl, but I want to know about your icon piece. What is it?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • That would be a tough question.
    First it isn't one of the top 5, which would hurt some. But it is in a pretty good position to upgrade towards the top.
    I took about three years to build this collection, but my time isn't included here, since it is a hobby to me, also without taking in consideration shipping and handling on purchases and slabbing we could infer:
    If you are getting it done raw and slabbing them yourself, 96 coins at $12.00 each would be about $1,152.00 total cost.
    At $16.00 each the 96 coins would cost about $1,526.00 without.
    Since 13 coins are earlier than 1966, at $16 each, these would cost $208 to slab and with 83 slabbable at the lower rate of $12.00, these would cost $996 for a total slabbing cost of $1,204.00.
    If we assume a $3.00 per coin S&H then this would add maybe $288 to the totals.
    If we include the three Eagle Slab albums to hold it all, this adds maybe $90.00 to the total as well.
    Considering that there are 47 (a little over 50% of the whole collection) coins graded MS66 or better, we could reasonably assume that these would be worth more, thus boosting the collection price up some more.
    Since some coins cost more, some cost less, it is probably reasonable to assume that it would bring in maybe $2,000 or more maybe in a auction.
    My costs are over $2,000 for the collection as S&H really adds up plus some coins cost more, some coins cost less.
    But then ultimately I don't really know, it would depend on how much someone would want to pay to buy it from me, or what it brings at an auction someday.
    Then of course I have that extremely rare, population 1, MS62Red cent; it ought to bring in a good premium.image
  • Nice Earl, but I want to know about your icon piece. What is it?

Oh that icon piece coin. . .
    It is a replica of an early Lydian ancient coin circa 460BC, hand struck and made in sterling silver, to be like the original Lydian coins.
    A really good jeweler made it so that one could use them to make jewelry without using originals.
    The jeweler made the dies and everything so they could have it come out right.
    The icon is a shrunk down photo of the coin before I made a pendent out of it for my wife.
    Any knowledgeable ancient coin collector of these types should be able to spot the differences bewtween a real one and this one right away. They deliberately made the obverse different on purpose, wild boars (or is it vicious rabbits?) instead of the lions, facing out instead of in.

• image Congratulations!!

Katrina
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Welcome to the 100% club! That's impressive when they are all your own submissions.

perfectstrike
    Zaniewski Memorials
  • Congratulations on a complete registry set. I'm glad you understand most of the cost of your set is due to grading fees. I think that is fine because I do think putting a registry set is a lot of fun. But, I can't help but mention the following just in case anyone does not understand what the value of the coins themselves are... I'm selling complete Memorial sets that are much nicer than your set for $119.
    Link with some posts giving reference to the quality.
  • Congrats, it is no easy task.
  • Thanks all for your complements.

Congratulations on a complete registry set. I'm glad you understand most of the cost of your set is due to grading fees. I think that is fine because I do think putting a registry set is a lot of fun. But, I can't help but mention the following just in case anyone does not understand what the value of the coins themselves are... I'm selling complete Memorial sets that are much nicer than your set for $119.

Well, buying them raw is no guarantee that they'll grade MS64 or better when you slab them.
    What you think is good isn't what PCGS thinks is good.
    I had four grade under MS64 and I thought they were supposedly better than that.
    I had gone through a lot of coins to get these graded. I still have to upgrade some of these anyway.
    So I seriously doubt you can get a raw set, as you imply, slabbed to come out better than mine or any of the other sets for $119.00.
    You would have to cherry pick through hundreds if not thousands of coins.
    A shiny uncirculated coin doesn't mean it'll "officially" grade out as a MS64 or better.

The differences between raw and PCGS graded and slabbed can make a huge difference.
    I have not gone through and priced all the coins in the set yet.
    For example a 1960-D Large Date in PCGS MS66 goes for around $55.00 by itself.
    A 1959 PCGS MS66 goes for $100 or so.
    A 1964-D PCGS MS66 goes for around $75.00
    A 1972 in PCGS MS66 goes for $55.00
    The late year PCGS MS68's are going for $35.00 themselves.
    The others with completed sets better than mine have a huge number of top pop coins, putting their sets way up there pricewise.
    Thanks
    Earl
  • badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Earl,

Great accomplishment. I think only collectors can understand the value of the personal time placed into the sets. It takes a lot of time, although the hunt is part of the fun. Congratulations on the set.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Earl. That's a tough series to get in all red.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations for finishing the set.

There are a lot of really nice coins in there. Many of the memorials are tough in choice condition. They're
    almost all tough in choice gem.
    Tempus fugit.

• << <i>Well, buying them raw is no guarantee that they'll grade MS64 or better when you slab them.
    What you think is good isn't what PCGS thinks is good.
    I had four grade under MS64 and I thought they were supposedly better than that.
    I had gone through a lot of coins to get these graded. I still have to upgrade some of these anyway.
    So I seriously doubt you can get a raw set, as you imply, slabbed to come out better than mine or any of the other sets for $119.00.
    You would have to cherry pick through hundreds if not thousands of coins.
    A shiny uncirculated coin doesn't mean it'll "officially" grade out as a MS64 or better. >>

Hi,
    Please don't take offense to my statements. I'm just trying to speak of the knowledge I've learned about high grade Lincoln Memorials. I've spent almost 3 years collecting these and learning how to grade them (or 15 years learning how to grade coins in general). You're exactly right that you need to cherry pick a lot of coins, I've literally cherrypicked over 50,000 coins now. I put together my own set, and set aside another 100 coins or so to eventually be sent to pcgs (I already have "made" 80-d in ms67, 97-p in ms68 etc..). From the rest of my coins, I made 25 more complete sets, only about 5 of them were good enough to call Gem BU (or almost Gem BU, about 5-8 dates like 63-d,73-s are ms64 in these 5 sets). Yes, I could spend $1200 getting these graded and sell them for some amount slightly over that, but why? Why go to all that trouble and make pcgs rich? I am just trying to get the money back I spent on all the rolls in the first place, and give some other collectors an accurately graded set at a fair price. The price is not a discount, just a fair price calculated by the difficulty in finding some dates in ms65+ and the time and effort of putting the set together itself. Would you like to buy a set or have me send you one on approval so you can see for yourself? I'm sure there are many reputable dealers who sell sets of similar quality to mine too... Witter coins in SF, Jack Beymer is one good mail order one etc... Anyway, please don't take offense and just keep continuing to learn as much as you can. Good luck and congratulations again on a complete set!

• XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Earl..Feels good to complete it , doesn't it...............Good Jobimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • To all of you out there, Thank you very much for your compliments.
    Yes it does feel good to complete it.
  • Congrats Earl!! image
  • great accomplishment
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Witter coins in SF, Jack Beymer is one good mail order one etc... Anyway, please don't take offense and just keep continuing to learn as much as you can. Good luck and congratulations again on a complete set! >>

I wasn't aware that anyone was offering good quality sets of any of the moderns.

Generally It's may not be wise to purchase these sets from dealers for the purpose
    of upgrading because quality is so poor that when you're done the entire original
    set will be gone. But these sets and yours sound like a great way to get a start on
    a high grade set of Lincolns.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Please don't take offense to my statements.

No offense taken, Thanks again.
    Sometimes I forget that there are others out there who do have good things to sell.
    I get so used to the junk sellers on Ebay, that I sometimes forget about the real good sellers that are out there too.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Thank you Earl image

I enjoyed looking through your pictures (I wish more people had pictures!) and you do have some really nice coins. 60-d in particular. I don't think I have any that nice. Talk to you later!
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eggs cell ent

congrats

let the upgrades begin ...
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Here's wishing you as much fun with the upgrades as with putting the original set together. I hope you continue to look for them raw and send them in. Not only will it give you greater personal satisfaction but you'll continue to appreciate the nuances of the series (and associated impact on the grade).

WH