Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

The Modern devaluation?

Are you noticing a devaluation in the TPG moderns? Last night at Heritage I bought a Botanical MS70 for $350. Within the last month on Teletrade and Ebay this coin was $625 and $525.

Others- SAC 2000-D MS68, $300 to $200. IKE 1971-S MS67, $375 to $300. SBA WR MS66, $325 to $150.

Are you seeing more of the same?

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Are you noticing a devaluation in the TPG moderns? Last night at Heritage I bought a Botanical MS70 for $350. Within the last month on Teletrade and Ebay this coin was $625 and $525.
    Others- SAC 2000-D MS68, $300 to $200. IKE 1971-S MS67, $375 to $300. SBA WR MS66, $325 to $150. Are you seeing more of the same?"

I recently added the Botanical to my MS Modern Dollar Commem and happily set a price on it at $500 (perhaps a tad more) as I recall. You simply "stole" one last night IMHO. I paid no attention to the EI sale last night and generally do not look at them. The ebay prices are more in line with the typical prices I see the coin selling at.

As for 00(d) Sacs in MS68- the coin has not been $300 for a very long time. I've been selling the coin all year around $200 and would happily sell to board members today at $170/coin. I do not get enough 71(s) Ikes or WR SBA's in each year to comment on price movement.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you can make a nice profit on the botanical by selling it to wondercoin.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    Every now and then (as proven here), DBLDIE55 and myself are in COMPLETE AGREEMENT!!

WONDERCOIN
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Wondercoin -- As for 00(d) Sacs in MS68- the coin has not been $300 for a very long time. I've been selling the coin all year around $200 and would happily sell to board members today at $170/coin.

Dear Wondercoin. If you check your records, you sold the coin you mention above to me for $250 on Aug 12. Two weeks prior to this the coin was $300 and now you're selling the coin for $170?

Orie: I just checked my PM's and we have closed -0- deals via PM's thus far. I do not recall if you won a coin on ebay or how you got it, but, as I mentioned, I said "around $200" throughout the year. I assume you were also rounding off when you said "$300" down to "$200" of late (after all, your cost was only $250 back in early August). Of course, I have sold some 00(d) Sacs in MS68 above $200 and I would sell the coin today at $170 to board members. In the past week, another 00(d) I consigned to an auction sold at $220 plus shipping. But, I would still sell one at $170 today to board members, even though the coin did just sell for close to 25% higher in the past week.

Wondercoin
  • Wondercoin sold a Capitol MS70 for $320 on ebay two months ago. One sold on Heritage last month for $200.

Update... I bought both coins. The modern market is down and I'm still buying. Don't know how much longer I can stand in front of this train.

Update(2)...The train thing is a joke. I submitted 13 MS70's that I purchased from Coast to Coast years ago for less then $20 each that are in my registry set. I find the market interesting, really not worried that the bottom is dropping out one little bit.
    "Wondercoin sold a Capitol MS70 for $320 on ebay two months ago. One sold on Heritage last month for $200."

Good example of why a few of my modern consignors enjoy consigning coins to me

Wondercoin
  • The 1971 S MS67 Ike is usually about $350-375 I don't think $300 is unusual since most modern collectors do not watch Heritage auctions.

I find Heritage is a great place to pick up coins for resale on ebay.

As for the 1979 Wide Rim SBA$ usual price is $300-350, $150 is a rip, easy 100% profit on Ebay.

Overall, I have seen a little softening of the market, but not enough to call. It could easily just be a temporary calm.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
    I agree with DRG.

I recently bought a bunch of 81(p) SBA's in PCGS-MS66. They were figured at $150-$200/coin in the deal and I was fine with that. Recently, one sold here on the boards for $40. Does that mean anything? Of course not. I believe Heritage gets the most money out there for early copper Lincolns in top pop grade as well as many other coin types- I have no doubt in my mind. Do I believe Heritage also gets top dollar for modern coins in the weekly EI sales? IMHO I do not believe so - heck, the one EI sale I did play in recently was the one where a board member announced he was selling coins due to a divorce. I bought a dozen or so MS-66 Ikes IMHO at the same great levels being discussed here for some coins. I think the 2 or three 1976(p) MS66 Ty 2 Ikes I won in that sale hammered at prices as low as the $50's levels! What did that mean to the Ike market? Nothing best I can tell. I would pay well over what they hammered at in that sale for 76(p) Ty 2 MS66 Ikes - I could use (40) more coins today - just PM me if you have any to sell.

Wondercoin

P.S. These very same coins in a Heritage Signature sale - I could only imagine the super high levels many of the coins would command - bottom line - IMHO it is wrong to suggest market trends from a Heritage EI weekly sale, especially where Heritage provides -0- descriptions of the coins!
  • I missed the Ike divorce sale. Rats!!

If anyone has a SBA WR in MS66 for anywhere near $150, I am in the market for one. image

-KHayse
  • orieorie Posts: 998
    [link

KHayse and Wondercoin. Check this one out.
    Orie - There are "deals" every day (on moderns and classics) - heck didn't the #1 SBA set owner in the country buy the coin you are referring to? Like he needs an "$150" undergrade coin that badly - I suspect it was purely a function of a purchase price he couldn't resist! image

I will agree with you that many top pop moderns do not trade in a price range similar to MS65 generic Morgans. I can appreciate your discomfort if you are more accustomed to those type of trading ranges. On the other hand, many highly specialized collectors LOVE a market where one day coins sell for 50-75 cents on the dollar at one auction venue or another and can potentially resell at 100 cent dollars the next. For example, back to my reference to the 76(p) Ike Ty 2 PCGS-MS66 - I bought the 2 or 3 coins in that recent Heritage EI sale for $60 or $70 "with the juice" and I have since sold that date in a separate public auction for around $100 - $110/coin, or roughly a 50% return. Would I have travelled the countryside to buy those PCGS-MS66 Ikes at $65 to resell at $105? Of course not. Would I spend 1 minute per coin max bidding in the sale to buy them on line, another minute double checking the cions when they come in to ensure that they are not potential upgrade coins and a final minute or two writing them up to consign them to another auction where they can potentially (and likely) achieve a roughly $40/coin return? Of course - why not? It only takes (1) upgrade coin per year to change these numbers BIG TIME.

So, Orie - is this "modern devaluation" or "modern opportunity"?

Wondercoin