Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 Topps Hockey Cut Card Case

Here is the url on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5127288182&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Anyone ever seen one of these before? Seems like a big gamble not knowing if the Gretzky card is in there or not.

Comments

• I have seen cut card cases before. However, this is the first Hockey case I have seen. All the others were baseball. It is a big gamble not knowing what sheet it is. Something the seller failed to mention (for obvious reasons) is that the cards are loosely packed in these cases. This causes quite a bit of corner and edge damage. Hope this helps! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • This seller has an absolutely amazing treasure trove of late 1950s - 1970s unopened material.

paoutdoorsman items for sale

I would be a little nervous bidding, though, without contacting the seller directly to get some more info. First, he is auctioning off items for a valuable estate on eBay, which is plausible but not probable. Second, the seller and the estate is clearly leaving tons of money on the table by not getting the packs (as well as single cards) graded. Seller acknowledges the existence of grading and the "added value" it provides, yet is auctioning off everything raw. Hmmm. Third, Seller proclaims "bid with confidence, my feedback is 100%", when he clearly has a couple of negs.

As for the 1979-80 Topps Hockey cut card case - this might be a rare instance when it would be prudent for a seller to open the case and check out the contents instead of selling it unopened. If there are indeed 65 Gretzky rookies inside, the value would be tremendous, let's say $15,000. But I doubt bidders will pay the expected value (1/2 of the $15,000) of a 50% "gamble" of receiving cards from the Gretzky sheet. I know that I wouldn't.
  • Auction closed at $5250.00. If it's the Gretzky case and he gets 65 of them that's about $81 each.