Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

sgc-do they grade sheet cut cards?

does sgc grade sheet cut cards? there is a bobby orr test rookie on ebay in a sgc holder and i was wondering if that could be sheet cut?
Bob

Comments

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I believe SGC's policy is probably the same as PSA. They do not want to grade sheet cut cards but some cards will slip by the graders. As for the SGC 88 Topps Test USA Bobby Orr issue, I would think it is 100% legitamate.
  • Options
    How does one distinguish between sheet cut and normal?

What are the tell tale signs of sheet cut cards?

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    ChicagoGlen poses a great question and I'd love if some well-informed collector/dealer could pop in and educate us on how to differentiate sheet-cut cards from those that are not. For OPC cards, spotting a sheet cut card is easy because there will be no rough cut, but otherwise I just don't know. Help.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    How about a nice clean white edge, instead of 30-40 years of yellowing?

How about a sharp cut, that indicates a technique that didn't exist when the original cards were 'cut'....
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ChicagoGlen poses a great question and I'd love if some well-informed collector/dealer could pop in and educate us on how to differentiate sheet-cut cards from those that are not. For OPC cards, spotting a sheet cut card is easy because there will be no rough cut, but otherwise I just don't know. Help. >>

The best way to learn is to do it yourself. If you're at a card show, and can pick up a sheet of 1989 Topps for $5 - buy it, and start cutting out cards with different methods. (Scissors, commercial cutters, Xacto knives, etc.). With some issues - it is easy to tell. If nothing else - oversized cards with perfect centering and perfect edges are a red flag (especially on issues where that is not the norm). Buy a BVG-graded 9.5 OPC card from the late 1970s, and then buy an unopened pack from the same year. Examine the edges of each under magnification - that will be most of what you ever need to know.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    mikeschmidt-thanks for the tips!
    Bob
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    yeah they grade all sorts of sheet but that's because
    people send them the sheet and often after PSA has
    placed an o/c qualifier on them.i prefer PSA graded
    sheet over any other.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

I posed the question to Derek Grady at SGC two years ago. Here is the reply I received:

Original Message -----
    To: David A. Cassel, CIC
    Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 3:48 AM
    Subject: Re: grading question

David,
    If we can tell that a vintage card was cut from a sheet we will reject it as trimmed. Unless someone was able to replicate the factory cut perfectly, we will be able to catch it. Any vintage card in an SGC holder will have an original factory cut.

Thanks,
    Derek

----- Original Message -----
    To: dgrady@sgccard.com
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 3:18 PM
    Subject: grading question

Hello:

I had sent a question to SGC a couple weeks ago, but have not yet gotten a response.

It was in regard to SGC's position on grading vintage cards that have been cut from sheets, and not cut originally at the factory.

The reason I ask is that I have sent hundreds of cards to you for grading in the past, and purchase SGC graded cards, also.

Given that fact, I need to know whether any high-end cards I may be considering purchasing, have been cut after the fact.

Has SGC graded these cards in the recent past, and if so, will this continue?

Sincerely,

David Cassel