Home Sports Talk
Options

Sadly - Most major sporting events are rigged.

After watching that fiasco last night with the one sided pass interference calls, it makes me think back over the years. I've seen several boxing matches that were rigged, some which were later exposed others just passed. But it's not just in one event, if you watch alot of sporting events this is actually pretty common. I guess as long as the general public is willing to allow this to go on - it will. But wouldnt it be nice to see who the better team/player really was without some help from the referee's.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    seriousely u jest............most? maybe in the wwe i doubt in the 4 maj sports that even 1 game is rigged...........
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    The call on terry glenn was iffy but rule book states if you get in the way of the runners route is interference! which harris did. call should have not been made,but it is a rule though!

no matter what boys won that game easy one lucky drive on 2 plays is only thing that kept it close for the skins!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The Terry Glenn call was AWFUL - he actually pushed the defender down, and caused the initial contact. Look at the replays, the Washington defender gets up after he sees the flag, and starts clapping...thinking the call was going against Glenn.

Pass interference is always a tough call because of the huge plays that result from those type of calls...and the rules are even tougher this season. That call probably cost Washington the game.
  • Options

<< <i>maybe in the wwe >>

MAYBE???
  • Options
    I agree Glenn initiated the contact but the defender did grab Glenn's shoulder or arm as the ball was coming down, thats what the ref was calling
  • Options
    maybe in the wwe >>

MAYBE???

lol
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I have lost track, but guess WWE is like WWF....wrestling. It's boring around here right now, so thought I may stir up some wrestling brain cells from fellow elder statesmen. No way wrestling was fixed years ago. It was all true sport, right?

No football player could ever be like "George - The Animal - Steel." George would eat the turnbuckle....the equivalent of munching on the protective padding around the goalpost. And he would chant "You, you, you..." as if that meant something other than the fact that he was totally deranged.

Ivan Putsky was one of my favorites. He would come in the ring with that band of raw polska kielbasa wrapped around his neck. Who do you see in sports today walking around with raw meat draped on them? Closest thing is the tangled mess of neclace stuff that Bonds has.

I liked Haystacks Calhoun...400 lbs plus, donned in farmers overalls. It was all over when he laid on you. No fancy moves or footwork...it was all about smothering you if he got his hands on you.

Ah...the memories of real atheletes before all sports were rigged

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    And I bet you think that Roller Derby is rigged too?
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    What about the pass that Gardner caught at the end of the game where he pushed off Reeves. That wasn't called. OR the play where Portis was down but allowed to get up and run for about 10 more yards. The truth is the calls were bad all around last night.
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    You see bad calls all the time, almost every game, what gets me is the fact that if you have the technology to correct something why not use it. The announcers are saying "That was a bad call" before the next play, so stop and correct it.
    Unless of course, as stated before, most of the major sporting events are rigged.
  • Options
    Unless of course, as stated before, most of the major sporting events are rigged.

and here all along i thought the mets just sucked
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The ability to challenge penalties would add more time to an already long game. However, bad PI calls or no calls change the entire game and frequently the out-come so something's got to change. I agree with you Scavenger in the sense that it who's policing the police. If a ref makes a bad call, it may be discovered the call was bad, but the outcome of the game won't be retroactively changed. I specifically recall the Giants 49er's playoff game fiasco a few years ago.

Are games fixed? - Doubtful

Are refs paid money to make "iffy" calls go one way? - Possibly

Brian
  • Options
    In college I used to bet sports and baseball games in particular...with odds attached you could get creamed taking the favorite against the dog.

After a summer of getting my head bashed in by the bookies I have never bet again on any sport; it distorts your impressions of the game and creates unnecessary anxiety; also , can you think of any good reason to watch a Chargers vs. 49er's game or Expos vs. Colorado unless you're a fan of the team OR have $$$ on the game.

I think you are too much of a fan to lose perspective as mistakes DO happen in calls as its always beeen a part of sports, or you put money on it and lost.

Don't look for conspiracy, don't bet, enjoy the game for pure sport.
  • Options
    My old college roommate used to try to tell me that major sporting events were rigged. I never bought it and still don't buy it. He used to blame it on the players, though, and say they were throwing the games.
    just another shot in the dark, but....
  • Options

<< <i>After watching that fiasco last night with the one sided pass interference calls, it makes me think back over the years. I've seen several boxing matches that were rigged, some which were later exposed others just passed. But it's not just in one event, if you watch alot of sporting events this is actually pretty common. I guess as long as the general public is willing to allow this to go on - it will. But wouldnt it be nice to see who the better team/player really was without some help from the referee's. >>

I don't think most games are rigged. But it is very nieve to believe that there is no corruption is pro or college sports. It is just plain silly to believe there is not. I wonder about some players, but about the refs too. Look at that ref with the bad call against Miami who should have won the National title......bad calls or no calls...you gotta wonder sometimes about it. I mean how hard would it be to pay a ref to look the other way a couple times a game, or even just one time in a game...when it really matters? Not hard at all. Who out there really thinks that most boxing matches are not fixed? I think atleast 50% of them are.