Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is Ted Williams most popular card ?

Please submit your opinion.
It can be a regular issue or regional issue.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Most popular? I don't think there's really a definitively most-popular Teddy card, like you might say for Mantle (52T), Musial (53B, IMO), Reese (53B), or McBride (80T). He's missing from several key sets that probably would be #1, like 52T or either 1953 set. His 1941 Play Ball is my personal choice, though, with the pastel colors, contrasting with the earlier B&W cards. His 1950 Bowman is very nice, too. And 1955 Topps. The 1954 Bowman was withdrawn, so that has an edge due to rarity, but if it hadn't been pulled, it might rank as one of his lesser cards. On the other hand it is a good portrait, which aren't common for him. 1957 Topps is popular, but the whole set's popular. And there's the whole Fleer set which has several keys, like the SP'd one and the one with Babe Ruth. I just don't know, man!
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Since Ted Williams is not in the 1952 and 1953 Topps sets, I will have to go with his two card in the 1954 Topps set.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My choice is the '41 Playball. #2 on my list is the '54 Bowman, but I don't think it can really be called the most popular due to the cost of it.

Steve
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Steve... the '41 Play Ball is one of THE most popular cards of all time in the hobby... my second choice would be the '56 Topps because it is attractive, plentiful, and relatively affordable in contrast with his other '50s issues.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Come on - does anyone doubt that the floating hot dogs is not by far the coolest Williams card ever?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    '41 Playball is THE card.

I like '51 Bowman and it's affordable.

Brian
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    1. '54 Wilson Franks
    2. '41 PB
    3. '39 PB
    4. '54 Bowman
    5. '52 Red Man

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I like the 41 Play Ball as well, but I still prefer the 1957 Topps card.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Ive always liked the second one in the '54 set. Its that classic Williams pose and smile.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I forgot about the Wilsons. Yeah, stark white background behind Ted's mighty swing fouling off the pack of weiners, can't beat that. That may be his most expensive in top condition, or any condition, but most popular?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I like 51 Bowman and 48 Leaf. Of course, if I owned the 39-41 playballs, those might be my favorites too!
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Very tough to call, if "popular" really means our favorite, not the one with the largest volume of collected cards, the greatest amount of slabbed NM or better, the most expensive, etc., etc.

The top card in my personal view is the 59 Fleer # 2. Teddy Ballgame with a big grin looking at the Babe as both grasp a bat. Each in uniform and probably having a good time. A real beauty !!!

56 Topps is quite nice as well, fine full face photo with an action shot of his famous swing in the background. The reverse has three cartoons, while a bit hokey they each portray a fact about The Kid. Another feature of the 56 Topps card is there are several very minor variations regarding the color or lack thereof on a line in the name block.

Any card of the Splendid Splinter should be popular, as any of the others mentioned are great examples also.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    1976 Topps All-Time Greats.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    The 1954 Wilson Franks Williams is an ugly, hideous card as are all the others that came with Hot Dogs.

The '41 and '54 Bowman are pretty nice cards.

Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    41 PB for me.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The Wilson Franks card is by far the most expensive in high grade and any grade, but that is probably because of its difficulty rather than popularity. There is definitely a niche market for those cards though.
  • Options

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    same as Grifs except 3. 1950 Bowman
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    That Wilson is a beauty! My personal favorite is the 55 Topps or maybe the 57......I don't know maybe it's one of the 54 Topps.....it's tough to choose with so many great cards out there.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    I also like the second 1954 issue, but the 54 Bowman is up there high on my list as well
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Hey Callecho,

Thanks for the scans of several fine examples of the great Ted Williams' cards.

ALL are super.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.