Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins of Caroline Islands

Hi,

Anyone heard of any coins from "Caroline Islands" when ruled by Germany in 1800s ? Now they r part of Micronesia/Palau.

Thanks

:)

Comments

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    The biggest coins in the world weigh close to four tons! These coins were used on the island of Yap, in the Caroline Islands in the Pacific Ocean. The coins were made from limestone found in caves on other islands hundreds of miles way, and were valued according to the quality of the limestone, the weight of the coin, and the difficulty transporting it. Many men lost their lives transporting these huge rocks back to Yap. Even the small denominations of currency on Yap were pretty large - the smallest coins were about nine inches (23 cm) across!

These massive “wheels” are usually displayed side by side in a sort of outdoor “money bank” at one of the islands' thatched-roof villages to denote wealth or status. Men's Houses—stately structures found in many villages that are much like a private clubhouse—stand beside the banks alongside the stone money that seems un-moveable.

Today, Yap’s currency is the U.S. dollar, but the stone money can still be used amongst the natives for traditional exchange for purchase of land or inside village ceremonies. image
  • Options
    Thanks for the info !!!

Other than these huge ones, does anyone know of actual "coins" of these islands ?

• Options
    I don't think any coins have been made especially for those islands. They are tiny and so is the population. If they were ruled by Germany in the 1800s ordinary German coins would probably have been used.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    Thanks !! That's what I was thinking, since I haven't come across them anywhere. Wonder why some countries (like Micronesia) don't issue atleast commemorative coins for "1 coin per country" type people like me image, similar to Marshall Islands.
  • Options
    Welcome, Coinmad!! The closest you're going to come is the German New Guinea coinage. A whole range of denominations were struck, but only in a single year. Mostly regular German coinage and some local tokens circulated in their Pacific colonies.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image