Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who here collects ancients?

I don't get the impression that many participants on this board collect ancients. Who out there does? I have recently reentered the field after a long absence.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    it's not my primary collecting focus, but i do have a pretty good number of ancients
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 30 years of collecting lightside, I've just begun to switch focus to dawn of coinage. I don't know if I'd call myself an ancient "collector" yet.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I sell a lot of them, but I don't really have any money to collect them at the moment. I've got a small personal collection from before I went into business of a few nice pieces.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    I have a bunch of ancients.
    It comes in spurts, we all put up pics from time to time in bunches.
  • Options
    I used to collect them and have quite a bit of knowledge I'd be happy to share if you need help with anything.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I've been getting more into them over the past few years. I collect everything though and love to learn read about everything too/
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I used to collect Roman coins and still own a few, but I have sold off the bulk of my Roman collection.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I have a small collection, about half Celtic and half Roman. I add occasionally to it when I happen across an appealing piece, but I've not actively pursued it for some years.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting the distinct impression that the ancient field is a bit soft these days. Realizations on eBay, for decent coins, not the mass of low grade (and overgraded) junk, seem unimpressive.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Ancients are not an area i can get into, i've looked at them but i just can't relate to them the same.

About as far as i would go into the ancient field is to buy an Athenian Owl.
  • Options
    I have a few, but only for the sake of owning a coin that old.
  • Options
    one problem with the ancient coin market, i think, is that there are relatively few specializers--- many collectors who even would go after
    a few ancient coins, think very generally ('i want an ancient greek silver coin, i want a nice looking roman coin, or simply i want AN
    ancient coin). Ancient coins are a vast field, with many many categories, but how many collectors are competing for a particular ruler
    of the Parthian (did i spell that right?) Empire? Compare that to the US coin market where collectors are scrutinizing Bust Dollars for
    Variety 135 of the 1798 Bust Dollar, or what have you. The average collector/new collector who goes into the ANCIENTS category on
    ebay is confronted with a HUGE, overwhelming number of coins to choose from-- and the novice is oftentimes not quite sure what they're
    looking for to begin with.
  • Options
    p.s
    and i think for there to be a boom in the ancients market, collectors have to get the impression, (like with US coins nowdays) that
    the 'good stuff' is fast disappearing from the marketplace.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The ancient market has actually been quite good for the past two years or so. The realizations at Triton VII in New York this last January were out of this world. There is a dearth of nice material on the market at this point. As such, prices for choice material are going higher and higher. Trash will always be trash, and that's 95% of the stuff on eBay. Nice coins get lost in the ocean of junk and aren't found by serious bidders as a result. This has been changing over the past year or so though. Bargains are disappearing, even on eBay, for nice coins while junk still brings junk prices. Common material, even in decent grades also doesn't do well on eBay.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    I have enough direction in my collection without ancients. Nothing without a date for me.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have enough direction in my collection without ancients. Nothing without a date for me. >>

Actually, many of the Roman coins can be dated quite exactly. Consul and Tribunician dates and other titles as well are known and are on many of the coins. One coin even carries a Year of Rome 1000 date.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Another problem is that really useful references are often hard to come by and frequently pricey.
    Askari

• Options

At one point we assembled the largest "grey side" collection in the world and sold it last year. Since then we focused on ancients and really have found it far more fascinating and enjoyable then any other area of collecting.
    Speaking of Athenian Owls here is the "1804 Silver Dollar" of the ancient world, the Athenian Decadrachm mentioned in the History of Herodotus as payment to the troops after the vicotory in Marathon in 490 Bc. At one time the worlds most expensive coin. Only a few known in private collections with the balance of 25 in museams and other institutions.
    Enjoy
    Sid and Alicia

• Options
    Enjoy, indeed!! image
    Askari