Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you shy away from cards with qualifiers?

Just looking for some opinions. I am doing a 55 Topps in 5/6 and have a chance to by a Berra 8OC for $130 (SMR is $180 for a 6). I'm debating whether to purchase or see if I can get a 6NQ. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Scott

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I do shy away from qualified cards, especially OC ones. This is just me personally, but I am really bugged by an OC card. I would much rather have a centered card at a lower grade.

Keep in mind also, that if you're working on a registry set, the qualifier will lower the overall grade by 2 points, so an 8OC will only count as a 6 on the registry.

Steve
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    a PSA 8 OC is a PSA 6. If you don't like the qualifier, you can submit the PSA 8OC to PSA and they can convert it to a PSA 6.

I would buy the card if it looks good since you are saving about $50. Go for it!!!
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>a PSA 8 OC is a PSA 6. If you don't like the qualifier, you can submit the PSA 8OC to PSA and they can convert it to a PSA 6. >>

A PSA 8 OC could be a PSA 7 or a PSA 4 (or a 5 or a 6). Although it is a two point drop for the registry, there is no automatic deduction when "no qualifiers" is requested on the submission. The grade is determined by the severity of the off-centeredness.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    To answer the original question, I guess it depends on the year. With mid-'50s Topps cards, I probably would shy away from cards with qualifiers, as there's plenty of decent collector grade NQ cards out there. With prewar stuff, I can tolerate qualifiers on an otherwise nice card because otherwise nice cards are not always plentiful. I have a 5MK card in one of my sets and I think I'd prefer it to a PSA 3 of the same card.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Typically with OC cards it is a matter of how OC a card is. The deal in question may be great if the card is say 75/25 Top/Bottom, but a 90/10 side to side card may not have the appeal of an exmt card. As for marks, if they are on the back they don't bother me that much on prewar cards.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no interest in most qualified cards, especially OC, but the PD qualifier really doesn't bother me much at all. I look at it as a way to get those high-dollar PSA 9's that I otherwise couldn't afford, like my PSA 9 PD Yaz rookie.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Going to buck the trend on occassion, as I don't mind qualifiers. With some of the obscure stuff out there, you'd be lucky to find a PSA 6. Not a rarity, but I just bought a '80 Ryan OPC PSA 9 MC for $14, so resale is out of the question, but I'm happy. However, I'm going for a Yaz Topps run from '60-'83 (gonna frame them), and since there's so many, there's no need to get ones with qualifiers.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Buy the card! Why spend the extra money to convert this to a PSA 6 on purpose? 1955 Topps is a vintage classic! If your happy enough with the way the card looks to buy it, be proud of the fact that you have a PSA 8 quality card. Yes it's qualified for centering, but in the case of an old treasure like this I think PSA 6 sends a whole different message.
    If the centering is not distracting, I vote to keep an old card like this one in the qualified holder.
    RayBShotz

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the issue.

I think PSA 9 o/c cards from the 1955 Bowman set are beautiful. I think 19th century cards with the MK qualification because of a pencil marking on the back of a blank-back card are not offensive. I really think it depends on the issue.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I completely agree. I have a T201 that's PSA 5 MK, and I had to look for a bit before I saw the small number "3" on the back that earned it its qualifier. Otherwise its a really nice looking card!
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I typically request no qualifiers on my cards when I submit them for grading, but I have no problem buying cards with a OC qualifier if they are not too badly OC, especially 9 OC's, which can be had for a fraction of the price of a straight 9. However, many cards with 9 OC can be found to be not too far OC, and can easily be cracked and returned as straight 8's. PSA is somewhat lax on the centering for 8's, and depending on the grader, I've seen many 8's that could easily warrant the OC qualifier but don't get it, and the buyer is buying the holder in this case, but it's a valuable holder now.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the thoughts fellas. My most popular thread yet! I'm going to see if I can get a scan and post it up.