Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Irish copper collectors...

Question... how tough is the 1940 1d in high end EF to AU with no traces of red? Would a totally red 1946 1d that has a reasonable shot at 65 be worth slabbing? Any thoughts? LordM?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    If you are selling the '46 penny is definitely worth slabbing. These coins usually bring multiples of Krasue if you can hit the magic grade of 65.

No clue about the other.

-JamminJ
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Can't answer the question, but here is some food for thought.

UK prices for these as follows:

1940 EF £75 (no UNC price)
    1946 BU £15
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • There were only 312,000 pennies struck in 1940 and prices for the grades are:
    F - U.S. $5-$8
    VF - U.S. $12-$15
    XF - U.S. $85-$90
    Red UNC - U.S. $900- $1000

1940 pennies are not difficult to obtain in nice EF to AU with traces of mint lustre around the devices and in the harp strings. They are only hard to find in the red uncirculated condition. The UNC price is for an original red lustrous uncirculated coin. A brown or partially brown coin even though exhibiting no wear and clearly uncirculated is worth substantially less which could range from $196- $300.

The number of pennies struck in 1946 were 4,800,000 and in Red UNC condition is valued at about $30-40 U.S.
    Slán,
    Micheál

Edit to add: The prices listed in U.S. funds were configured from the prices in Eurosimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses... I thought that a red example of a 1940 1d would be quite tough and fetch decent money. I was less certain about the rarity in high AU and brown unc, but I am not surprised with a $200-$300 range for a brown unc. I would have thought a nice red 1946 would do better than $40 just because the of the need for post war coinage and there would be little if any effort to save these.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.