Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some Greyside Photos To Look At

I finally took some decent pictures of the Canadian large cents I purchased at Long Beach from the Heritage auction of the Palmer collection. I hope everybody enjoys them as much as I do. image

1881-H; PCGS MS-65 Red; Population 1/0

1887; PCGS MS-65 RB; Population 4/0

1898-H; PCGS MS-66 RB; Population 1/0 (shown previously)

1907-H; PCGS MS-65 RB; Population 11/0

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    WOW!!! They are simply phenomenol, bosox. Congrats! image

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are awesome, Bosox image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1898H is to die for. Great coin. Still can't understand why it isn't RD.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Outstanding!! I can't tell why the 1898H didn't get "Red" either. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    awesome!!!!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Zowie!!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

WOW! They all look red to me. Very nice!

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Copper at its best.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everybody for their nice comments.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Can someone please explain to me where the brown is on the last two coins? They look full red to me. image
  • Options
    The last two (the 1898-H and the 1907-H) are very close to even the PCGS standard for Red, which is 95% full mint bloom and luster. I suspect that if I cross them with ICCS that both would come back as Red. I think the 98 would stay at a 66. The 07 might cross at 65, but might drop to 64. Doesn't matter. They are wonderful coins in difficult dates. They are keepers. image

• Options
    Victoria and Edward look awesome! Great looking coppers.....image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Firstly, quite a nice group of "RED" coppers, bosox.

Of late, PCGS & especially NGC are erring on the conserv. side of the copper colour issue simply for liability issues downs the road (at least IMHO). When NGC graded my 1838 large cent as MS66BN, I really had to scratch my head in amazement. It definitely should have been anyone's 66, but BROWN......polite chuckles from the EAC crowd. Well, I sent it to PCGS wherein they proferred a 65, but correctly called it RB. image

After reviewing so many Lincolns and Injuns in LB & Pittsburg for the grading thingy, it was apparent that extraordinary booming 'swirly' lustre and bursting 110% red was necessary to garner a 67RD or better grades, but 65s and to some extent 66s could have a bit on a purple or cherry-reddish natural tinge of toning and still be RED (as it should be) ..... image

Bottomline? Bosox is happy with some incredibly beautiful copper...... very nice!image

Are you building a date set?
  • Options
    Yes, I am patiently (most ofthe time) trying to build a high grade Vicky date set.

• Options
    Outstanding.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    WOW, what beautiful large Canadian cents!
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3