Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Buying Uncleaned Ancients

Hi all,

I've seen folks selling various lots of uncleaned ancients on ebay, etc. for awhile now, and curiosity is starting to get the better of me. I'm not foolish enough to believe that I'll get some uber-rare gold or silver pieces, but it seems like it may be fun to pick up a lot or two just to clean up and see what's there. Even if I just end up with a handful of some common stuff, at the very least I figure may learn a bit o' history trying to attribute them.

That said, does anyone have some of these lying around or could you recommend a decent seller?

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    As long as you don't expect to make money or find any high-grade coins and you don't spend a lot of money, you should have fun.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Frank Robinson just put out a new list of budget ancients on Saturday.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I'm not foolish enough to believe that I'll get some uber-rare gold or silver pieces,

Those that sell bulk, uncleaned ancients will keep you from suffering with that problem.image
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the delay.

Brad - Thanks for the linkage! Lotsa cool stuff there.

BigAlan - image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of these lots are late 3rd or 4th century coins. They can be very cheap and fun to play with. Get your olive oil ready and do some soaking. Don't expect to get rich as there isn't a lot of demand for them.
    All glory is fleeting.